Best written book you've read?

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by AngelsPeak, Apr 22, 2009.

1. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Not necessarily the best story line, but a book that is so well written the author could be talking about drying paint, and you'd be entranced.

For me that book is White Oleander by Janet Fitch. She has such a way of putting words together, that I wanted to crawl into the pages and cuddle up with them. (yes, words mean that much to me)

Yours?

2. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

I'm gonna have to go with "Across the Nightingale Floor" By Lian Hearn.

The author just has such an amazing way of describing things and making things seem so vivid in your mind, just makes you want to keep reading on and on.

3. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver

4. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

Any book by kim harrison, i have read at least eight of her books.

5. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Harlan Coben is an awesome author... alot of his books go into some detail that normally I couldnt take if written by someone else. So whatever scheme it is that he uses, Harlan Coben manages to entrance me into eveyr little detail of his stories and I have yet to ever complain about the amount of detail he puts in 'em.

For instance I remember there was a book of his I read where he was describing this Instructor who lived on Campus and would drink her sorrows away while listening to depressing music, and why she would drink a certain liquor and blah blah blah its definitley not as colorful when I try to repeat it, but just the way Coben can capture that moment is very cool to me.

I'd say "Tell No One", "No Second Chance", and "Promise me" are all great examples of his story telling.

6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I am not much of reader when it comes to books of mystery or thrillers, but I've read many, many sports biographies and the best I've read is The Big Bam The Life and Times of Babe Ruth by Leigh Montville. It's the great biography of Babe Ruth I've read, it's really well written, it explains both his playing career and his life as child to an adult. It's magnificent.

7. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Have you read "Thunder & Lightning: A No BS Hockey Memoir" from Phil Esposito? I have to say as far as sports books go, thats most definitely the best written one I've ever read. And trust me there are tons and tons of details in there about how he got the name for the Tampa Bay Lightning and how he had Corporate battles with the Off Shore investors... all the while talking about that I couldnt put the book down. Not so much with other Sports Memoirs though, I tried reading Ken Drydens book and it bored me to death...stupid hockey players turned politicians.

8. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I havent read the book, but I might look into it. I am a huge fan of Phil Esposito because he tells it how it is. You said it perfectly it's a NO BS book, because Esposito doesn't care about offending people. You should look up a few youtube videos of him on Off The Record he's great and he's not afraid to say anything about anyone.

9. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

I've got to say that it's probably "Everything Changes" by Jonathan Tropper. I've never had an author capture a mood so well. The story line is the usual: mid-life crisis of a young guy, but the way he writes and the way he developes his characters gets you so involved in the book. It's a great book, and I seriously, recommend it to anyone.

10. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Very hard to say, but I would include The Catcher in the Rye, John Adams by David McCoullough and His Excellency by Joseph Ellis.