• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Best-Worst Announcers for MLB

DrMiraculous

So, as a fan who saw Harry-Skip-Chip Caray develop as a dynasty of announcers, I find it tough to listen to some of the current guys covering MLB. I like the old style guys, Scully and Harwell from the old school are smooth and easy to hear even if I don't like the teams playing.

A few of the announcers today try to maintain the balance of opinion and reporting without being a jerk about it. Jon Miller is easy to listen to, I like Steve Stone's analysis, Gary Thorne is a good voice for the game.

Sometimes it takes a team of two, Arizona's pairing of Steve Bartiume and Bob Brenly has made both better. Im not a huge Dbax fan but its great to hear them in the booth. Always liked Bob, he was good with the Cubs along with Chip, another case where having a good side man helped a listener enjoy. I can't stand Chip with the Braves!

Many more just embrace being a jerk, becoming a character - the kind of guy you usually move away from in a bar cause they are too annoying. Guys like Hawk Harrelson, Mitch Williams Bret Boone, even Billy Ripken can be so bad I have to mute. Goes for Matt Vasgergian too, I'm sick of him from calling MLB the show.

The worst was Joe Morgan, but now that hes not doing games anymore it lets me see how crappy some of the other guys are!

So I'm curious, who do you guys think is listenable for a whole game, or even a series or more?
And on the other side: Who do you turn the sound down on cause they are so bad?

BJBirdy

Registered Member
I know a lot of fans bitch about Buck Martinez and Pat Tabler but I really don't mind them too much. That's probably cause I'm used to having the other team's feed and having to be told the same info about the Jays night after night ("The Jays are coming off of a disappointing 2013 season..." "R.A. Dickey has struggled since coming to Toronto..." "Jose Bautista was not a home run hitter until arriving in Toronto..."). I actually did used to complain about Buck Martinez being boring...then I heard Sam Cosentino call a game in 2010 and I never whined about Martinez again!

Anyhow, the announcers who I don't really care for are Michael Kaye with the Yankees (such a homer) and Gary Thorne with the Orioles (just cause he doesn't pronounce a lot of names properly). Other than that, it really takes a lot for me to really like an announce team or really hate them.

DrMiraculous

I hear you, no quicker way to get me annoyed when announcers can't get names right, its pretty much their basic job!

I love hearing announcers who don't know the team and just go off what the press notes say. Most recently it was Brett Boone doing a Sunday night ESPN game saying "The Cards can look for today as a chance to go to work on one of the worst teams in the league" just before the Cubs unleashed the beast for about 17 runs. Sure Boonie, todays the day. haha

He even hung on after the score went bad - saying "well, if they can get a three run inning here, they cut the lead to just six."

Sabby

BJBirdy said:
I know a lot of fans bitch about Buck Martinez and Pat Tabler but I really don't mind them too much. That's probably cause I'm used to having the other team's feed and having to be told the same info about the Jays night after night ("The Jays are coming off of a disappointing 2013 season..." "R.A. Dickey has struggled since coming to Toronto..." "Jose Bautista was not a home run hitter until arriving in Toronto..."). I actually did used to complain about Buck Martinez being boring...then I heard Sam Cosentino call a game in 2010 and I never whined about Martinez again!

Anyhow, the announcers who I don't really care for are Michael Kaye with the Yankees (such a homer) and Gary Thorne with the Orioles (just cause he doesn't pronounce a lot of names properly). Other than that, it really takes a lot for me to really like an announce team or really hate them.
I actually enjoy Buck quite a bit, just not when he's paired up with Tabby. I cannot stand (and I'm too lazy to Google it) the two homers who cover the White Sox. Oh man, their games are so annoying

DarrylMHB

I listen to Jays games on the radio. Jerry Howarth is still very good at calling games. I'm still getting used to Joe Siddall. I like Wilner more as a post-game talk-show host/troll rather than a play-by-play guy.

Favourite in the MLB is Vin Scully. No question.
Hawk and the Yankee guys are my least favourite.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
Sabby said:
BJBirdy said:

I actually enjoy Buck quite a bit, just not when he's paired up with Tabby. I cannot stand (and I'm too lazy to Google it) the two homers who cover the White Sox. Oh man, their games are so annoying
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Tabler either. I really liked it when Jamie Campbell was calling games a few years back.

And the White Sox announcers are the worst homers ever, bar none. No one else even comes close now that I think of it. I will say though, it was nice to hear them praise Shaun Marcum during a game a few years ago. They said that he reminded them of Catfish Hunter that day.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Dan Shulman for me. He was the Jays play by play announcer back in the day and that's where I got my love for him.

Now he does Sunday Night Baseball and does a wonderful job at it.

The worst is Hawk Harrelson.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree that Buck is not all that bad. He can be annoying at times and screws up way too often for the lead guy. That said, I think he's more suited as the colour analyst. He did a great job in the booth for TBS as the colour analyst during the playoffs.

Scully is what a baseball broadcaster should sound like and Uecker is one of a kind.