Best way to get kids to not abuse substances

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Nosferatu_Alucard, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nosferatu_Alucard Undead Intellectual

What do you think we should do to educate the kids of the future not to drugs, smoke, or binge drink etc? We're making a decent effort, but with more advertising, supply, and more pure products, it seems like we're fighting a losing battle. Look at heroin for example: Afghanistan produces 30% more than the global demand! And their stuff if the purest of the pure!

No matter how many times we pound the thought of "substance abuse is bad" in to their brains, it wont do any good. I think instead of teaching them what the drugs are all about, we need to teach that the drugs aren't the normal thing to do. I cannot tell you how many of my friends and people I know have gotten hooked onto drugs because initially they thought it was the normal, teenage thing to do.

2. njbroncsfan

njbroncsfan Registered Member

D.A.R.E. does not do anything. They learn it in 5th grade and all is forgotten by the time they get to 8th and beyond when all of this stuff comes into play. Peer pressure is a major influence in this. Kids need more will power. I think getting professional athletes may help this because kids look up to them. Truthfully, however, I do not think this problem canbe solved. Personally, I am a sophomore in high school and all I do is drink. I do not abuse it like some of my friends even though I have gotten pretty bad on a couple of occasions. No way will I ever smoke, especially drugs. One thing leads to another now a days. Who you hang out with also has a major influence on what you decide to do, which factors into the influence of peer pressure.

3. Nosferatu_Alucard

Very true. You have a 156% increased chance of becoming hooked on drugs, an alcoholic etc. if you have a group of friends that are.

4. njbroncsfan

It's happened to me with drinking. I said I would wait until I got older, but I got into it with my friends who had already started. Now drinking isn't as bad as some other things which I would never do, whether my dumbass friends do it or not. I do have will power and can stop myself from doing certain things. Some kids can not do this and it just gets worse and worse with each new thing their friends do which inevitably leads to them doing it. :no:

5. Nosferatu_Alucard

As bad as it sounds, with all the stuff out there today, I would rather most kids drink.

6. njbroncsfan

I was hoping this thread would generate more responses. Anyone besides me and nos?

7. tipsycatlover

tipsycatlover Registered Member

Hmmm. I didn't respond because I didn't want to get into another fruitless argument over why drugs should be legalized. I did not really expect anyone to be interested in getting kids to not get into drugs.

Number one, the parents have to be more involved with the kids than they are. Then, there are the parent's drug use. If parents have dabbled themselves or even smoke pot, they are more likely to overlook a child's drug use as just youthful experimentation.

I used a different tactic with my son.. I kept telling him how smart he was and how proud I was of a superior intelligence that decided on his own to not use drugs. It didn't take long before he was so convinced that it was really intelligent to not use any drugs that he just thought of his drug using friends as not worth his time. I never once told him not to try drugs. I never gave a single warning. I just kept telling him how serious intellectuals don't do drugs.

It worked quite well. He never drank or used drugs at all. A lot is being made today of giving a child self-esteem and how important it is to have self-esteem. That is only partly true. A child must have a reason to develop self-esteem. Without a basis, it is just egotisim. A measure of self-esteem is in the ability to not do what everyone else is doing. It's smart, they want to be smart, they want to act it, and not making fools of themselves with drugs is one solid way.

8. Nosferatu_Alucard

Yeah, kids can be taught anything if you do it the right way. Hell, you can make it seem that doing the dishes is fun if you get to them young enough. Unfortunately, they can also be persuaded into think doing drugs/booze is cool too.

9. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

The best way is to have involved parents.

10. Irishone21

Irishone21 Registered Member

Be honest to them. Make them aware of dangers, but don't exaggerate them. And for those who already use drugs, so long as they are not too dangerous, let them use them, and teach them moderation.