• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Best Stanley Kubrick Film

Kubrick's Best?

• A Clockwork Orange

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Barry Lyndon

• Eyes Wide Shut

• Full Metal Jacket

• Lolita

• Spartacus

• Other (Please Specify)

• Total voters

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
OMFG it's another poll.
This time it's pointed squarely at Stanley Kubrick and his directorial achievements. I feel pretty safe in saying that he's a legend in his own right. He passed away as he was creating AI:Artificial Intelligence, yet it needn't matter to have that final film pegged to him, because let's be honest. It is the back catalogue that he has amassed that is most illuminating.

Please pick from one of the following films, or other if there's something else you prefer.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
2001 sucked, I thought. Half was footage of a red light, nobody ever laughed and the ending made no earthly sense. My dilemma is choosing between Dr. Strangelove and A Clockwork Orange. In one, Kubrick gives the world Peter Sellers at his schizophrenic best. The other is my kind of movie (a la Harold and Maude) and a hip culture phenomenon, having influenced the fashions of both punk rock and disco. Neither film, I might add, has monkeys throwing bones.

In the end, I'll give it to Strangelove. Beyond a great script, flawless performances by Slim Pickens, George C. Scott, and Keenan Wynn, not to mention the best ending of any movie ever, the showcasing of Sellers in his three hysterically contrasting roles makes the film special in itself. With Sellers' gift and Kubrick's direction, even the flat droning of egghead President Merkin Muffley gets a laugh: "Well, now, what happened is, uh... one of our base commanders, he had a sort of... well, he went a little funny in the head; you know, just a little... funny and, uhhh, he went and did a silly thing."

Bliss

Sally Twit
The Shining is one of my all time favourite films so it gets my vote.
It was a fantastic story and there wasn't anyone more suited for the lead than Mr. Nicholson.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I had the same dilemma as Tucker. Even though I didn't like "A Clockwork Orange" there's no denying it's a brilliant film. I went with "Dr. Strangelove" though because it's one of the best satires ever made, and it has one of the best lines ever - "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"

I liked "Full Metal Jacket" and it also has some great quotable lines, but I don't think it was quite as good as "Dr. Strangelove".

"Barry Lyndon" has to be one of the most boring movies I've ever seen.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I have to pick Dr. Strangelove. I'm a huge fan of well acted/wellwritten/well directed movies and it had them all. There wasn't a disappointing scene in this entire movie. Couple that stuff with a heavy dose of social commentary and uncanny wit and you have one of my favorite movies ever.

Poetosis

Registered Member
Perhaps not the right reason for voting, but I voted for The Shining purely because Kubrick's direction and Jack Nicholson's acting abilities together were like two Ghostbuster streams getting crossed. =3

It is a prime example of suspense and horror that no film maker has managed to replicate to this date. A close second in my vote was 2001: Space Odyssey, for being both artistic and mesmerising.

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
I can't pick! 2001 is amazing and I think about it far more than any other film I've ever seen -even though it's been years since I've seen it. Full Metal Jacket I've probably seen more than any other and it's perfect in every way. The scene where they are first in the training billet and the camera pans round in one HUGE continuous take is awesome. It's about failure and not war BTW. :) The Shining is also deeply ingrained in my psyche -ALL hotels remind me of The Overlook hotel. So basically I can't choose between these three...