• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Best Spam Filter Solution?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Anyone have any success with limiting their spam intake? I've been using software based blockers like Norton, but am wondering if it's time to switch to a server side solution.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

skameron

There are some good hardware/software (firewall, i.e., Sonciwall) that have some good solutions. Some of the best solutions, however, are with your mail server software. Like anything as "slippery" as SPAM, it will take a lot of customizing and some false positives until it's tuned right.

Spinlock

Registered Member
Well... A couple observations from a veteran email user.

1. Never, ever post your email address somewhere a spammer can find it.

2. When registering for something new, use a disposable email address. I use "spamdump" as my base one, and I can add numbers to that. You can usually change to a different address later, after you verify that it's legit. This is easier when you have your own server, but you can always use Yahoo! Mail or Gmail if need be (don't use Hotmail, you'll get spammed anyway.)

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have multiple email addresses for this very purpose.. It seems the main way spammers are getting my email address is when people/friends send massive emails to a big list of people. Eventually that email list gets in the wrong hands and by then there is nothing you can do.

So assuming the spam is already coming in, I need to find a way to minimize it. I am looking into server solutions that include advanced spam algorithms. It's unfortunate but it's the only solution besides getting a new email address, which is almost more annoying. :)