Best Sophmores this season

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There was a lot of great rookie players last year, and some of them took the next step and became even better sophmore players.

Who do you think those players are?

I have three players in mind.

Patrick Kane: He's explosive, he can score or he can dish a nice assists. The scary thing is that he's still very young and he's only going to get better.

Nicklas Backstrom: Last he mostly got assist, but this year he's putting the puck in the net, and still getting some nice assists. It defenitely helps that he plays with Ovechkin, but he's still a good player without him.

Carey Price: Arguably the best goalie in the Eastern Conference, he lost a lot of weight this off season and it shows, he's quicker with the glove and his pads. Sometimes he makes it look so easy. He's defenitely going to be one of the best in the game in a few seasons. He's also one of the best puck handlers in the NHL and he's only 21.

Turbo

Registered Member
I'd say Kane, to be able to do what he's doing with all the hype over Toews. I mean Toews is stellar and for Kane not to buckle in his second year with a team mate like Toews shows his maturity for his age in this sport.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think Toews will have a better career then Kane when it's all set and done. He wasn't off to a good start this season, but he's finally picked it up. I think he's a better overall player then Kane, especially when it comes to scoring goals. Both are tremoundous talents, but Toews will defenitely be known as the better player when they both retire, barring injuries obviously.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Are you serious? Price as been one of the biggest prospects in the NHL since he won Gold Medal with Team Canada a couple of years ago. He had a tremoundous rookie campagne, and I know he struggle in the playoffs, but it didn't help that he had three broken fingers in his glove hand. Price didn't come out of no where, and he's not surprising anybody, thats for sure.

OverLoad65

Registered Member
Are you serious? Price as been one of the biggest prospects in the NHL since he won Gold Medal with Team Canada a couple of years ago. He had a tremoundous rookie campagne, and I know he struggle in the playoffs, but it didn't help that he had three broken fingers in his glove hand. Price didn't come out of no where, and he's not surprising anybody, thats for sure.
hahaha ok, let me rephrase that.... Price came this fast out of no where. I knew he would be good. However, I didn't see the weight loss coming that would cause him to progress this fast. The goalie is my favorite part of the game, so I for one am super glad that I was surprised... which probably played a part in being surprised.

Yes, he is definitely one of the top prospects in the NHL. I just think he'd be THIS good in only his secondly year. The position does take a long time to develop. Does that make more sense? Because I certainly didn't mean to minize the value of how great of a prospect that Price is.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Okay, thanks for clearing things up. I have to agree with you, I didn't think he'd be one of the best goalies in the NHL this quick.

I knew that he was going to have a great career, he shown it by winning the goal medal for Canada, then winning the AHL trophy with the Hamilton Bulldogs.

He still needs to learn a few things, but that will come in time, like you said, the goalie transition from the minor leagues to the NHL is one of the hardest.

He's already a top notch goalie in the NHL, but the scary thing is that he's only going to get bet.

I get a chance to watch this guy on a night to night basis, and I am puzzled on how great he is, and the saves he makes.

OverLoad65

Registered Member
It's up-coming stars like this that make us so excited for the future of the NHL, wouldn't you agree? There have been a lot of new players lately... the rising generation is definitely here and it gets me all excited!

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Oh I agree, there's a lot of young stars in the NHL and there's some great ones coming next season. The two highest prospect this season is a Swedish defenseman named Victor Hedman, he might go second or first overall, it depends if the team who as the first overall pick needs to shut down defense who can also put the puck in the net, or just a pure scorer. Hedman is compared to Lindstrom in many ways.

Then you have John Tavares, who broke Gretzky record for most goals in a season in the OHL. He can really put the puck in the net. He's the biggest prospect since Crosby. That's just talking about the first two picks, there other stars on the way as well.

So the NHL product will keep getting stronger and stronger.