• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nintendo 64 Best Singleplayer Map:

Absolute

Registered Member
What would you say is the best singleplayer map for PD?

1. Chicago

Really challenging map with cool missions.. I loved using the bombspy. This map was extremely hard on the hardest difficulty.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
It's a tossup between the DataDyne building, Pelagic II, and the Carrington Institute. I like the DataDyne building because it's cool and creative and there are 3 missions in it under three different contexts, but the level itself doesn't have enough variation and alternate ways through it as I would have hoped. Carrington institute is good too, but in some ways it's too big, which would not be a bad thing if only the level made use of more of it and it wasn't so hard. The Pelagic II is a good map as well, but then again, a lot of it is very similar and there isn't a whole incredibly lot to do in it. But overall, if I had to pick one out of the three, I'd probably go with Pelagic II.

I really didn't expect anybody to pick Pelagic II as their favorite. I've just never enjoyed the level myself. I hated the colors, the cramped halls, and repetitiveness of it all.

My favorite level is probably Institute: Defense. I recently beat the level on Perfect Agent, which was very satisfying, but I also realized how fun it is. Trying to fly through the hangar halls before any enemies show up, using a Combat Boost to safely rescue the hostages, using the secret Devastator to destroy the safe, cloaking past all the Skedar with the RC-P120 as you head toward their ship. It's all so intense.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
RossDude said:
I really didn't expect anybody to pick Pelagic II as their favorite. I've just never enjoyed the level myself. I hated the colors, the cramped halls, and repetitiveness of it all.
Yeah, that's why it's a tough pick. I'm not much for the colors either, but then again, it still kicks the crap out of the Area 51 outdoor level. I think the fact that there's so many enemies in a small space with the danger of repeating enemies and objectives spread pretty evenly throughout the level is what pushes it over the top for me. On co-op and counter-op there's a lot of fun there. And it's really cool to put the Farsight cheat on and try to snipe everybody in the level out from the beginning room. Also, in case you didn't know, there's a glitch in the level where if you take out a lot of enemies really fast in the beginning, one of the enemies from back in the Elvis room will convert to your side and take out as many enemies as he can on the way to meet up with you. He almost never makes it (unless you also make a huge effort to meet him as well) but it does happen. Also, I've had a glitch where I leave the opening room before elvis finishes talking, and when I come back, he's frozen in place in jogging position. That's only happened to me once. I tried to push him through the level to get him where he needs to be at the moonpool landing, but I accidentally ran him into the corner by one of the doors and couldn't get him out.

Yeah, I've heard about that guard defection glitch. It's never happened to me, but I'd like it to. And speaking of Elvis oddities, if you just hang out in the first room and watch Elvis, he will eventually bring his hand up to his mouth, then throw something on the floor and crush it with his foot. It's the cigarette smoking animation that the civilians use in Chicago. It's a little weird watching an alien smoke.