• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Best single season by an athlete

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
In your opinion what is the best single season by an athlete? It can be from a team sports, or a single player sport like Golf, Tennis, ect.

Some may call me bias on this one, but I would have to go with Babe Ruth's 1921 season. His numbers across the board are simply ridiculour. Here's some for you:

Games playerd: 152
Runs: 177
Hits: 204
Home Runs: 59
RBI: 171
Stolen Bases: 17
Doubles: 44
Triples: 16
Walks: 145
SLG %: .846
OPS: 1.359
TB: 457

Just remarkable numbers and to me the best single season from an athlete.

Your pick?

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Some that come to mind:

Wayne Gretzky, 1985-1986, 52 goals, 163 assists, 215 points in 80 games.

Had 22 more assists than any other player (Mario Lemieux, playing a full season) had points.

Mark Spitz 1972 swimming season (7 Olympic golds) and Michael Phelps in 2008 (8 golds, along with winning pretty much everything else he entered that year).

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Novak Djokovic, 2011.

3 Grand Slams. Dubai, BNP Paribas Open, 2011 Sony Ericsson Open, Serbian Open, Madrid, Rome.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Well that's a good season, but Federer had similar seasons in 2004, 2006 and 2007 (three Grand Slams, won the Tour Finals, and won a bunch of tournaments proportionate to what he entered).

The thing is, in tennis there are seasons about as good or as good as Novak's. In hockey or swimming, I don't think there's anything as good as Gretzky's season, or a Spitz or Phelps.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Some that come to mind:

Wayne Gretzky, 1985-1986, 52 goals, 163 assists, 215 points in 80 games.

Had 22 more assists than any other player (Mario Lemieux, playing a full season) had points.

Mark Spitz 1972 swimming season (7 Olympic golds) and Michael Phelps in 2008 (8 golds, along with winning pretty much everything else he entered that year).
That was second of my list. Those numbers are incredible and you have to blink a few times to realize it's not a dream and he really put up those numbers in one season. I have a real hard time to believe anyone is going to reach 200 points in a season ever again. I know that's a really long, but I just don't see it. Gretzky was just a special player, and he actually saw the play before it happened. He knew where the puck was going, he knew all the angles and he knew where his players were going to be before they got there. Which is why he got so many assists in his career.

Wade8813

Registered Member
If you don't penalize for steroids, I think I have to give it to Barry Bonds. I'm not sure which year I'd pick - maybe 2004. He had over a .600 On base percentage. A .400 is quite good, and he was one and a half times better than that. That's absurd. And he still managed to hit 45 homers despite being intentionally walked so often.