Best Singers

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
Who has the most phenomenal voice in music history of music?

Now, I have heard quite a few great singers, but I believe Etta James takes the credit here.
Proof
YouTube - Etta James - All I Could do was Cry
She can really rail, but she can hit beautiful notes, and sings with absolutely beautiful passion. She truly sang the blues, and was only one of a few women to do so, and did it with Golden Pipes.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's so many to choose from, in my opinion though it's between Michael Jackson, George Michael or Freddy Mercury. All of those singers are very diverse meaning they can either sing up beat songs or slow songs. Also unlike tons of other singers they sound great in the studio and live. I would rank Phil Collins up there as well. Seen him live and he was amazing.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I'm undecided between 2 guys who are both amazing.

Josh Groban
Andrea Bocelli.

YouTube - celine dion ft. josh groban, the prayer

and...

YouTube - Celine Dion & Andrea Bocelli - The Prayer (Live TATST 1998) HDTV

I found the same song with Celine Dion for both of them.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of other great singers out there, Michael Jackson is probably the most notable that I haven't listed, he is simply amazing but in my opinion, these guys are better than MJ.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I don't understand how no one else mentioned Michael Jackson, not only was he a tremendous singer but he has been all his life, even at the tender age of five years old. Listen to Who's Loving you and Ben by Michael Jackson and you'll understand what I'm trying to say. There's tons out there that proves this man was an amazing singer, and even live as well.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I don't understand how no one else mentioned Michael Jackson, not only was he a tremendous singer but he has been all his life, even at the tender age of five years old. Listen to Who's Loving you and Ben by Michael Jackson and you'll understand what I'm trying to say. There's tons out there that proves this man was an amazing singer, and even live as well.
I do agree with you on MJ, and I also think Freddie had an amazing voice. They're the only two that spring to mind straight away for me, though there's a lot of talent out there.

wooly

I am the woolrus
Impossible to choose a "best" singer ever personally, as a great singer in one genre is uncomparable to a great singer in another genre. For example, Corey Taylor is my favourite metal vocalist and Andrea Bocelli probably my favourite operatic vocalist but i'd never be able to compare them or say who is 'better'! So a group of people that come to mind as legends in their genre:

Freddie Mercury
Corey Taylor
Andrea Bocelli
Aretha Franklin
Tina Turner
Ella Fitgerald
Marvin Gaye
Jeff Buckley
Art Garfunkel

Gonna stop there cus i know i'll just keep on thinking "oh, i can't leave THAT person out!" and i'll end up with 90 names :p Those 9 were some of the first that came to mind though so they're all contenders for best singer ever in my book!

Last edited: