• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Best Shooter

T

the.game

fatboy said:
kobe shoots 45% from the field. for as many shots as he takes that is pretty damn good. Nash and dirk are good shooters but you cant put them in the same category as the good shooters like the others you mentioned.
Why not? Nash shot 92% from the FT line and Nowitzki 90%. Nowitzki shot over 48% and 40% from the field and downtown respectively and compare to those of Allen, Redd and Stojakovic. In terms of percentages, nobody touches Nash. He's 17th in FG% (second among pure guards behind Tony Parker only who is not a shooter), 5th in 3PT-FG% and 1st in FT%. It's no coincidence that the leaders for FT% are Nash, Stojakovic, Allen, Nowitzki, Szcerbiak, Billups, Stackhouse and then Redd. If Nash and Nowitzki don't belong on the list, I don't know who does.

There are many players in the league who can knock down open shots with as much regularity as the guys I mentioned in my original post but these guys have the ability to create for themselves and knock them down under pressure. The players I listed are the top perimeter threats on their teams (maybe not Rip if you count Chauncey Billups) and the leading scorers (except for Nash and Stojakovic who came in a close second).

F

fatboy

the.game said:
fatboy said:
Kobe shoots 45% from the field. for as many shots as he takes that is pretty damn good. Nash and dirk are good shooters but you cant put them in the same category as the good shooters like the others you mentioned.
Why not? Nash shot 92% from the FT line and Nowitzki 90%. Nowitzki shot over 48% and 40% from the field and downtown respectively and compare to those of Allen, Redd and Stojakovic. In terms of percentages, nobody touches Nash. He's 17th in FG% (second among pure guards behind Tony Parker only who is not a shooter), 5th in 3PT-FG% and 1st in FT%. It's no coincidence that the leaders for FT% are Nash, Stojakovic, Allen, Nowitzki, Szcerbiak, Billups, Stackhouse and then Redd. If Nash and Nowitzki don't belong on the list, I don't know who does.

There are many players in the league who can knock down open shots with as much regularity as the guys I mentioned in my original post but these guys have the ability to create for themselves and knock them down under pressure. The players I listed are the top perimeter threats on their teams (maybe not Rip if you count Chauncey Billups) and the leading scorers (except for Nash and Stojakovic who came in a close second).
Nash is awesome, no doubt. cant put him with the pure shooters because allot of the shots he takes are layups.
he penetrates and shoots high percentage shots. if the question is best creator, then he is definitely there. as a pure shooter i don't think Nash and Dirk are in the top 10. if so dirk before Nash. a player can have a high percentage and not be a pure shooter. i don't consider Kobe in that list either shooting 45 from the field in regular season. i have dirk at 42nd in 3 pointers made. again, percentage is a bit deceiving when describing shooters. Nash is 16th on that list. when you mention shooting under pressure, if your talking about clutch, i think Nash nor dirk neither would pop into most peoples head for top 10. they definitely don't mine.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Nash might be 16 on that list of field goal percentage but that's still good even though it's not top 10, you got to consider shooting free throws a key component, because you need to be a good shooter to make those free throws. Nash has been leading the league in Free throw percentage for last couple of years, if not number one then top three for sure. Also Nowitzky takes a lot of shots and is field goal percentage might be at 40% but you got to remember he's 7 feet tall, that's an awesome percentage for is size, and he usually never goes down low. Also Tony Parker led the league in points in the paint.

F

fatboy

u are right that is awesome for a big man, and if the topic was best shooting big man he would win. but it is best shooter, and although he is great he is not in the same league with the greatest. the free throws are impressive, and that is an awesome skill to have in a game. but shooting is not just from the line unguarded. i think they cant be in the same classification as the ray allens, the Michael Redd's even players like posey are pure shooters. not saying Nash and dirk aren't as good of players as them, because they are better, but not pure shooters.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yes I know what the topic is but I still consider him has a pure shooter, because he always has a hand in is face and he still shoots the ball with ease, I am talking about Dirk, I've many of is game and he did hit a lot of awesome shots, that you say how the heck did he hit that, but it's hard to leave him out as best shooter.

F

fatboy

i agree with that, he definitely makes amazing shots. he is with out a doubt an awesome player. IMO in the top 10 players in the league. myself, i just cant put him with the pure shooters, who are only in the game to shoot.