Best saves

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Derek, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Derek

Derek Guest

I saw we had a goals topic, so I thought we should go through some saves goalies have made over the years. For starters:

1)John Vanbiesbrouck robbing Mike Modano(?)- Vanbiesbrouck was a Ranger at the time and the Stars were still in Minnesota. The North Stars had a 2 on 1. Modano got off a shot off a one timer and Vanbiesbrouck dove and saved it with his chest. I believe this was around '92.

2)John Vanbiesbrouck robbing Jaromir Jagr- Vanbiesbrouck was still a Ranger. Jagr had a wide open path to the net. Vanbiesbrouch went down, threw his glove, and saved it with the glove. This I believe was around '91-'92.

3)Martin Brodeur robbing John LeClair- '95 ECF. LeClair thought he had an open net, and Brodeur comes out of no where and saves it with the pad.

4)Martin Brodeur robbing Kris Draper- '95 Finals. Brodeur stopped the initial shot, and Draper appeared to have the open net. Just as he shot the puck, Brodeur put his stick on the ice and stopped the shot.

5)Mike Richter robbing Vincent Damphousse- This was around '94. Canadiens had a 2 on 1. Damphousse took the pass and had an open net, only Richter dove and made the save with the stick.

6)Martin Brodeur robbing Petr Nedved- '00-'01 season. Nedved had a breakaway and Brodeur did a full leg split and stopped it with the pad. Talk about flexibility.

7)Guy Hebert robbing Keith Tkachuk- '97 playoffs. Tkachuk had a breakaway and Hebert caught it in the mid-section. Ducks won the series in 7.

8)John Vanbiesbrouck robbing Mike Keane- '96 Finals game 4. Keane had a breakaway and could have won the Cup. Vanbiesbrouck made a glove save.

9)Patrick Roy- not sure who he robbed. Patrick was a Canadien at the time. He had his back turned and still made the save.

10)Nikolai Khabibulin- '04 Finals game 7. With a 2-1 lead and about 3-4 minutes remaining, Khabibulin came from one side to the other, and saved a game-tying goal.

2. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

Fred Braithwate(sp) against Detroit a few years ago. The puck slid under his pad after the shot and he went back and somehow got the blade of his stick under the puck and chipped it up. It was the best save I have ever seen. I still don't know how he did it. Also Raycroft's from earlier the year against St.Louis. That was an amazing save and I think it was thus far the save of the year.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

That was a great save Andrew, but I believe the best off all time was a couple years back when the Canadiens were facing the Bruins in the playoffs, when Guerin was taking a shot, and Theodore did like 360 and he stopped the puck with his stick, it was just crazy.

Here's the highlight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fhXZss4NWo

4. andrew_bishop

Yes that was a crazy save as well. Have to give him that. It will go down as one of the all time best saves in the NHL. Those were the best days of his career and too bad they are over. I actually did like him with he was with the Habs but now I really don't like him. Mostly because he plays for the Avs and the only thing I like about that team is Joe Sakic:)

5. Babe_Ruth

Yeah it's a shame that his career went downhill, because he was a great goaltender at one point with Montreal especially that year, when he won the Hart and the Vezina he was on top of the NHL, but then he got a new contract and everything went downhill.

Now he's a back up in Colorado to Budaj, I honestly expected big things from him when he got traded but I was way off.

6. andrew_bishop

Well when I saw that he was delt I knew that this could be the end of the guy and to this point it is. He will never have the same skill that he did that year in Montreal but he could become a number one goalie again. I mean he is young and he has a huge potential if he can live up to it. He has to get back and rebound and not let some bad years get to him. If he can get out of Colorado and to a younger team say like the Caps then he can become a number one again. The Caps are soon going to lose Kolzig because he is soon going to retire and if Theodore went there then he would be competing with Brent Johnson for the starting role and I think he could win it.

But back to the main topic I would go with Roloson against the Wings as one of the best that I have seen in such a long time. I mean he just slid over and robbed Cleary.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bLdrdojI1I

Here's the Braithwaith one I was talking about earlier
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp0F7Rw3bxQ&mode=related&search=

7. Babe_Ruth

That save by Freddie Brathwaite is the only thing people will remember from is hockey career. It was one of the best Hockey Saves of all time. The strength he used to make sure that puck doesn't go in is simply incredeble.

Here's another crazy save by Antero Nittymaki. I can't get enough of those diving hockey stick saves. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RoZR9qmljU

8. andrew_bishop

Oh man that was a crazy save for sure. But I think one that will stand out in my mind for awhile didn't come in the NHL. Or even pro hockey. I was playing a little 1-on-1 hockey with my friend Dylan in net. The guy I was against beat me to the net and deaked Dylan out but Dylan slipped and as he did his stick went in the air and Dylan did a 360 grapped the stick and robbed the shot high blocker side. It was an amazing save and I won the game:)