• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Best Root Beer?

What's your favorite root beer?

• Total voters

Konshentz

Konshentz
This was a tough one. Barq's and A&W battled it out in my head, with Barq's getting the win by a very narrow margin. Both are excellent though. Jones probably gets the bronze medal.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
A&W has always been my favorite root beer. Not sure what Chameleon is talking about with the caramel flavor. I think it's more of a vanilla flavor, and that's what makes the difference for me.

Mug is probably my second choice. But I haven't had a Barq's in like 20 years.

But why is it called beer? If it has no alcoholic properties why beer?
Ginger beer doesn't contain any alcohol either.

dDave

V.I.P.
This was a tough one. Barq's and A&W battled it out in my head, with Barq's getting the win by a very narrow margin. Both are excellent though. Jones probably gets the bronze medal.
Jones goes really well with Irish Cream.

A&W has always been my favorite root beer. Not sure what Chameleon is talking about with the caramel flavor. I think it's more of a vanilla flavor, and that's what makes the difference for me.

Mug is probably my second choice. But I haven't had a Barq's in like 20 years.

Ginger beer doesn't contain any alcohol either.
Ginger beer, depending on the brand, can be alright or amazing. Some of it is really strong.

Yeah, A&W is made with aged vanilla, says so right on the can.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
But why is it called beer? If it has no alcoholic properties why beer?
I believe because of the big head of foam that it is known for. 2nd only to Dr. Pepper, root beer is the most carbonated type of soda. Root beer is more inclined to foam up, whereas Dr. Pepper tends to erupt more violently when jostled too much. (I >HATE< the new narrow thread caps. You used to be able to let the excess gas off and tighten the lid in one twist if it started to fizz up. Now it takes 3 to 4 twists, and by then things can get messy).

- Cham

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I've only tried Barq's once while I was in the US. It also hasn't made it's way to SA. I really didn't like the taste of it at all. I would never drink it again even if it did make it's way here.

dDave

V.I.P.
I've only tried Barq's once while I was in the US. It also hasn't made it's way to SA. I really didn't like the taste of it at all. I would never drink it again even if it did make it's way here.
Really? I think it's strange that you didn't like it. I think it's delicious. :)

The saddest part about root beer not being overseas? No root beer floats. Sad day.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Seriously. Root beer is great. I don't drink soda anymore, but if I did, root beer is right up there with Mountain Dew and maybe Orange Sunkist as my favorites.

And also...

Those things are amazing. Best Halloween candy?

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
We get other delicious floats. And I've had a root beer float in the US as well and it was gross. :lol:

Taste differs. I love Ginger Ale, others hate it. Isn't life grand?

dDave

V.I.P.
We get other delicious floats. And I've had a root beer float in the US as well and it was gross. :lol:

Taste differs. I love Ginger Ale, others hate it. Isn't life grand?
But here's the thing, I'm yet to have any soda that I didn't really care for (other than diet soda). I love ginger ale, I also love root beer. It's a crazy common sort drink around here.

It just seems strange to me that something so common as root beer isn't available in Europe, SA, etc. You guys probably have stuff there that we don't have here but I don't know what that would be.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
It just seems strange to me that something so common as root beer isn't available in Europe, SA, etc. You guys probably have stuff there that we don't have here but I don't know what that would be.
I can think of a few drinks that are popular here that I didn't see in the States, but they are actually made by the Coca Cola company, I think. Don't quote me on that. One think that is different here is that our Creme Soda is green. I missed green Creme Soda so much while I was in the US. LOL.