• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Best Root Beer?

What's your favorite root beer?

• Total voters

dDave

V.I.P.
Root beer is a special kind of soda in that it's been replicated many times by various companies. There are distinct differences between the different brands of root beer. All are good, but some are better than others.

What's your favorite?

It's A&W for me. For whatever reason I just find it to be perfectly balanced, the taste is just a bit better than any other root beer I've had.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I remember some time ago our local Tesco had an American section, it had things such as Reeces and Hershies Chocolate as well as Root Beer but I never actually bought it. What is root beer exactly? What does it tend to taste of and does it have any alcoholic properties?

dDave

V.I.P.
I remember some time ago our local Tesco had an American section, it had things such as Reeces and Hershies Chocolate as well as Root Beer but I never actually bought it. What is root beer exactly? What does it tend to taste of and does it have any alcoholic properties?
You guys don't know what root beer is in the UK? Oh man, you're missing out big time.

Root beer is regularly not alcoholic in any way (though, I've made it that way before). I think just about every restaurant in America serves the stuff.

It's the same color as Coke and it's also carbonated. The flavor is quite good and you can definitely taste vanilla in there.

Anyway, it's all quite good. You should see if you can't track some down in the UK.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Sadly not, it seems to be one of the exports that I have never seen. It may be bigger in larger cities such as Manchester or London but in Liverpool I have certainly never seen in wide availability.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A&W root beer is my favorite too. I love it when they give it to you in a frosted mug. I haven't had one in a while now I want one.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
A&W root beer isn't root beer. It's caramel flavored soda.
Dad's root beer is good, but it also doesn't have a typical "root beer" flavor.
As for the root beers that actually taste like root beer, Barq's and Mug are top contenders.
Stewart's does a fantastic creamcicle (vanilla orange) soda, but I don't recall ever having their root beer. I'll have to try it sometime. A&W used to have fantastic root beer way back in the day, but the recipe has changed and now it's just caramel pop (Not that there's anything wrong with that, but they should quit calling it root beer).

Before switching to Barq's and Mug, Hires was my root beer of choice. If I'm going to do root beer now, it's generally Mug, but I won't turn my nose up at Barq's either.

- Cham

P.S. Root beer, for those who haven't had it is a cola-colored soda bearing a combination of flavors, generally including caramel, liquorice, sassafras flavoring, and a few others. Coke's version of root beer (Fanta/A&W) is for those of less discerning tastes. :p

Last edited:

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
See The_Chameleons answer (P.S.). Its called root beer because its mostly made from roots. Sassafras is the main flavor and theres other roots they use that makes it foam.

I voted for Barq's. Its the only root beer I drink and I love root beer! :D

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
That's like asking why Coke is called that even though it doesn't have any cocaine in it.
But it did at one stage and that is how it got its name :D - besides, Coke is a brand name, not a description of what it is.