Best retired players vs Best current players

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Alright since the season is over this section won't get a lot of activity except when they announce the award winners, and if there is a team that signs a major free agent, or if there's a major. So I've decided to start this thread, now I don't know how much activity we'll get, but I believe this could be fun. This is how it will work.

You will choose one retired player for every position the player that you select is a player that you believe was the best at that position e.g. first baseman Mark McGwire(meaning you believe he's the best retired first baseman of all time). Same thing with your current player e.g. Albert Pujols(you believe he's currently the best first baseman in the Major leagues. You'll have to choose a player for all of these positions:

-First Baseman
    -Second Baseman
    -Shorstop
    -Third Baseman
    -Right Field
    -Left Field
    -Center Field
    -Catcher

-Five Starting Pitchers

We won't choose relief pitchers, closers or a designated hitter since they haven't been part of the game for its entire history.

Alright lets get this thing going, please participate people it's not all that hard. After your done choosing your players for both of your teams, you pretend these two teams would face each other and you have to pick and winner and you have to give a small description on why you believe this team would win.

2. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

1B - Gehrig / Pujols
    2B - Hornsby / Utley
    SS - Honus Wagner / Han Ram
    3B - Schmidt / A-Rod
    C - Bench / Mauer
    CF - Mantle / Griffey
    OF - Ruth / Vlad
    OF - Bonds / Manny

SP - Walter / Pedro
    SP - Mathewson / Felix
    SP - Alexander / Halladay
    SP - Grove / Greinke
    SP - Maddux / Lincecum

I'm not entirely sure on all my choices, but I'm pretty happy with both teams. I'm not really accounting for steroids, but if two people are more or less tied, I'll give it to the one I think was clean.

The retired players win, hands down. I do believe that in general, players are getting better because of better training, better nutrition, etc. But the retired players have almost all of baseball history to draw players from, and that's too big of an advantage. You'd have to break it down some other way - maybe by decade.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Well our list look fairly similar, but he's my squads:

First Baseman: Gehrig/Pujols
    Second Baseman: Hornsby/Utley
    Third Baseman: Schmidt/A Rod
    Shortstop: Wagner/Jeter
    Center Field: Cobb/Griffey
    OF: Ruth/Guerrero
    OF: Williams/Manny
    Catcher: Bench/Mauer

SP: Johnson/Halladay
    SP: Mathewson/Pedro
    SP: Alexander/Johnson
    SP: Clemens/ Smoltz
    SP: Grove/ Pettite

I will give a better explanation why I believe the retired team would win later.

I took Jeter over Ramirez because he's had a better career so far then Ramirez as. Also I am surprised you took Grienke that only had one good year, King Felix as well. For currently players I mean through out their careers not just last season. But by looking at your starting batting line up it seems you understood that.