Best Prime Minister of Canada?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Babe_Ruth, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Were always talking U.S Politics, I think it's time to have discussion about who the best Prime Minster was. I know only myself, Smel and Pretz will be replying to this thread, but maybe the outsiders can learn a few things.

So who do you believe was the best Prime Minister of Canada.

I will do a bit of research before posting my definite answer, but I have someone in mind already.

2. Realitycheck

Realitycheck Registered Member

We havn't had one yet. Current example liked George Bush, need one say more?

3. Charlatan

Charlatan New Member

How about the one that provided the most jobs for the people? How about the one that lent the least? Everything else is merely academic.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Pierre Trudeau is certainly the Prime Minister who is most remembered and brought about a great deal of positive change - a multicultural, tolerant, understanding, bi-lingual society, good protection of our health care system, and repatriation of the constitution while maintaining good relations with Great Britain. He greatly valued education and supported post secondary studies. He is also remembered for the strong stand he took when he enacted the War Measures Act. His phrase, "Just watch me" is often quoted. Pierre Trudeau was a true statesman, something we have not seen in prime ministers since him. Paul Martin and Stephen Harper do not even come close to having the statesmanship, diplomacy, integrity, resolution or just plain charisma of Pierre Trudeau. He will go down in history as one of Canada's greatest.

To choose a runner up to Pierre Trudeau it would have to be either Lester Pearson who won a Nobel Peace Prize, or John A. MacDonald, one of the fathers of Confederation.

5. Charlatan

Charlatan New Member

Multiculturalism is overrated, racism is natural. The first thing that enters our minds when we see someone of another colour is some 'different'. In promoting multicultrualism we often see that people take only what they want from the other culture and discard the rest. I say we do away with all culture for the beneift of society - no more division, not combining the culture, doing away with it. We could do this by teaching children to speak the sam language, for example.

A tolerant society is a bad one. Only by not toleratingbad things is society going to survive, and anything that is naturally not tolerated or brings scrutiny upon itself we are instinctively against at first, and, our instinct is there for our survival. Non tolerance is the way!

If everyone understood each other then there would be only one culture, as there are moral absolutes. As soon as everyone understands everyone else there is a 'natural societal law' that is the 'truth', and everything else fades away.

Everyone should speak the same language because it leads to a better way of life. Some people feel more comfortable with their mother tongue, so everyone should have the same mother tongue.

Protect the health care system? Oh that is a good one! *slaps knee* If there was ever a good health care system it would be modelled on the more competant and more successful system of people being able to take out loans for when they need surgery or something, because seeing as how I have cured all diseases that is all there is left to do in a hospital. The income from the people would be down to them paying about a ten thousand dollar loan once a lifetime over a long period, perfectly easy on them money wise. To fund the actual hospital they could be given a capital loan over a long period, and ba da bing ba da boom, nor problem.

No laws should be modelled on the constitution, it is a bunch of ideals that interfere with the law.

6. MrKilroi

MrKilroi New Member

Ah yes Turdo the Red, It appears he still has you wetting your knickers,

I would vote him as the worse PM ever, his legacy to this country is divide and conquer politics. He would stave any Canadian west of Manitoba if it meant one more ounce of power for him. He created the National Energy Plan NED which has left a foul taste in westerners mouths to this day.

Multiculturalism is a farce because it retards a national identity, by having people ghettoizing themselves never learning the languages or assimilating to Canadian life.

His Crowning achievement was bringing the Constitution to Canada and its Charter of Rights. Which created the PM's Office which translates into a Dictatorship that is elected once every four years...I lived through the Trudeau years, I was glad to see the ass end of him walking out of Parliament.

I would have to say that Diefenbaker was a man of integrity and he tried to bring a bill of rights to Canada, it failed largely because the Prems of the Provinces wouldn't agree to it only because the right to property was included. Sadly Dief killed the Avro Arrow project. A bit of a dark spot on his rep.

Those words aren't true today thanks to the likes of Trudeau......Our Charter of Rights and Freedoms would be more aptly named the Charter of Privileges and Permissions. since Parliament has the right to enact any legislation it wishes to, whether it is offensive to our rights or not...Thats Turdo's legacy to Canada..

Pearson give me a break,,,,,

7. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

I've only remember the last 3 prime ministers. Cretien, martin and harper. Martin was a joke. He only got in there because he was next in line for party leadership. He makes Harper look really good. Cretien was better than Harper, to a degree. But then again, Canada wasn't under the economic pressure it is now, so naturally Harper is having a harder time.

From history, I really like John A. MacDonald. From historical accounts, he sounds like a guy who could care less about having been in power. He was concerned about Canada, and money and power took second fiddle.