Best Player today?

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Babe_Ruth, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm sure this is going to be a great debate, because I have a feeling that a lot of people that post in the Hockey section have different opinions on who the best in the game is. So in your opinion who do you believe is the best overall hockey player today? Please explain your answer. Your not allowed to choose a goalie.

2. padd

padd Registered Member

Narrow it down to te best of the crop and you got Lecavalier, Iginla, Crosby, Ovechkin. Right now I'd give the torch to Crosby. He's not th greatest pure goal scorer.. although as far as playmaking goes he should be up tere in the top 15 of all time, despite being so short in hi career, he'll only get better now.

Additionally Iginla and Lecavalier are more balanced than Crosby and Ovy, despite not having as much talent, I'd rather have Igy or Vinny on m team.

3. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I have a couple favorites for this list and I'm not quite ready to come to just one yet. However because I'm short on time and wanna get this one rollling I"ll just do one:

MJ and I have talked about him before, Vinny Lecavalier. He's matured faster than the Tampa Bay Lightning themselves. I read Phil Esposito's book and I have to say he really put Lecavalier into a new perspective for me. Phil talked about how Vinny was always asking for help even when he was the best on the roster at whatever skill. To me theres a lot to say about a player who has that much passion for the game, no matter what game it is.

Lecavalier is definitely an all around player, or has grown up to be one. I can recall the days when he'd stick to the finesse plays around confrontation to keep his nose clean. Seeing him now I'm more than happy to see he plays that physical type of hockey I love to see especially in the scorers. He may not be a Tie Domi or Gordy Howe, but from what I've seen he's come to embody everything I love about this game.

TO me that makes a fantastic top notch player.

4. Babe_Ruth

I have to agree with you Icegoat, I believe that Vincent Lecavalier is the best all-around player in the league, he can score, he can make a great pass, he can hit and he can fight.

I remember watching him when he entered the league, he wasn't well rounded, everyone knew that this guy can score the puck in the net, but can he become stronger can he improve his overall game. Well after a few years you finally saw that, he improved at every aspect of the game. He plays the game the right way. I believe that having Tortorella as his head coach really helped him. He was an immature player and Tortorella put him in his place, everytime he saw him goofing around he yelled at him. He saw a lot of potential in Vinny, so he was the hardest on him. Which was good for him in my opinion.

I'll always remember that fight he had against Ignila in the Stanley Cup finals. After that fight I had tremoundous respect for him and right then and there he became a better player in my opinion.

The scary thing is that he's still young and he's going to come back healthy next year and prove that he's an elite player in this league.

5. icegoat63

However "The Big Three" are no more. It'll just be Lecavalier & St. Louis, no more Brad Richards. I'm curious to see if that will have any effect on Vincent what so ever. If it does, my guess is it will be for the better.... one of those force him to step it up even one more notch.

6. padd

padd Registered Member

He's not that young anymore though, he's a 10 year verteran over here! Anyways, I consider Lecavalier more of a late bloomer if anything, same with Iginla. I mean you never saw Iginla or Lecavalier's name on the top 8 art ross finishers list in their first 5 years.

7. icegoat63

Well what about Joe Thornton?

In San Jose he's put up some huge numbers, I've seen him play and he does toss the body around. He's been a serious threat for the last 2-3 years now, if San Jose could get some better effort out of Marleau I wouldnt be surprised to see a bump in Thorntons scoring stats.

8. Babe_Ruth

I believe Lecavalier will be better without Richards to be honest with you. He knows that he's going to need to step up his game since they lost a key player last season. I think Lecavalier if healthy will get over 40 goals and score over 100 points next season.

Padd, it doesn't matter if there were late bloomers, what matters is that there one of the best hockey players today, some players take a little more time to adjust to the NHL style game. You also have to remember back when Lecavalier entered the league scoring wasn't high like it is today. The hockey pads were enoumous and the goalie had the advantage over the skaters, unlike today. But don't get me wrong I'm not denying the skills of Crosby and Ovechkin, I believe there right behind Lecavalier.

Also during Lacavalier second season, he had 25 goals and 42 assists which comes to 67 points. Which is not to shabby if you ask me.

Goat, I consider Thornton top five no doubt about it, he's the best passer in the league, and he knows how to find his open teammates, the only knock I have on him is that he doesn't score over 30 goals, he hasn't scored over 30 goals since 2002-2003. I know he can put the puck in the net, he scored 29 goals last season, but I'd like to see him reach 35+ and still maintain his 70+ assists. But I do consider him one of the best in the NHL.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  9. padd

padd Registered Member

How could I forget.. that's what a summer of no hockey and alot of soccer gives you.

@ MJ, Michael Ryder got more than that in his 1st season lmao

10. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

Even though there's no more BIG 3 Steven Stamkos ain't a bad player and will fill the void that Brad Richards left.

I have to agree with most opinions that Vincent Lecavalier is the best NHL player today. He can do everything on the ice. His nact for the game is like no other. After Ovechkin he's the best scorer in the league, and to have as many points he did with such a shitty team is almost un-heard of. What I like most about him, and stands out the most is his grit. He wont back down from anyone..if I remember correctly he fought Zdeno Chara and he's no easy opponent. Alexander The Great is close but right now I have to go with Lecavalier.