Best Player in the game today?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

There's a lot of good players in the Major Leagues today, especially a lot of young players.

In your opinions, who do you believe is the best player in the league today?

Please explain your answer.

2. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

The answer to this questions, without a shadow of a doubt, Albert Pujols. The things he's done in the first 8 years of a season are unmatched by anybody in baseball. He's the total package.

Excellent defensive fielder, hits for a ridiculous average, 35 homers a season, 100 rbis, 100 runs scored, etc etc.

3. Babe_Ruth

See I still don't know if it's Albert Pujols or Alex Rodriguez. I believe you can make a case for both of them. The only negative thing about Rodriguez is that he hasn't been clutch when called upon, especially in the playoffs. Rodriguez and Pujols have been the best players in the last couple of years.

So for me it's between Pujols or A Rod.

4. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

The numbers are probably close without me looking them up but I'll take Albert because of:

He's won a World Series Title
    He's a much better defensive player
    He's one of clutchest players in baseball

5. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

Well if you guys know me by now you know my answer:

Albert Pujols

Hes' going to hit for average and power for a very very long time and will consistently be in the NL MVP race. And while no one can say for sure if he'll hold the all time home run record when his career is done with I'm pretty confident he'll of surpassed Bond's current record.

6. Babe_Ruth

Everything you said about Pujols you can say about Rodriguez. Every year A Rod is in contention of winning the American League MVP. He has a chance to surpass Barry Bonds in the all time home runs list. Also Rodriguez will hit for average and power for pretty much the rest of his career.

7. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

You know what else people will wind up remembering about Alex? That he was a headcase and that his clutch hitting was piss poor, those are things the numbers will never show and it's part of why I hate people who have such a hard on for stats as if they're the law of the land. Throw in that as of right now he doesn't have a World Series ring while Albert does. I think Alex will surpass Bond's career HR record also, I think Howard will too, it's just too hard to tell who will have the record when it's all said and done.

8. Babe_Ruth

I agree with you Rodriguez isn't much of a clutch hitter, and it already does hurt his reputation. I don't only look at stats when I rank a player, I look at the total picture. Alex Rodriguez played shortstop early in his career and now he's playing third base. I believe those two positions are much harder to field than first base, especially the shortstop position.

You also have to look at running bases, Rodriguez is a much better runner than Pujols is.

Just wanted to say that I'm not denying Albert's game at all, I think he's the best or second best in the major leagues.

9. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

This in and of itself is refreshing, I think the majority of us on here are the same way.

10. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

An okay fielding SS/3Bman is more valuable to a team than a good fielding 1B/LFer.

Actually, numbers DO show whether or not someone is a good or bad clutch hitter. You just have to look at the right numbers.

To me, the WS ring is meaningless. Even Babe Ruth wasn't good enough to carry a team to the WS all by himself.

I'm undecided on how I feel about clutch hitting.

Pujols' hitting is better than A-Rod's, but A-Rod plays a more valuable position. It's hard to say.