Best Pitcher in the league today?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Alright there's a lot of great pitchers in the Major Leagues today. Who do you guys consider the best?

Please explain your answer.

I personally believe it's between two pitchers, Johan Santana and Roy Halladay. People might think I am bias because I selected Halladay, but after a few responces I'll tell you why,

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Obviously you're bias BR.

:)

Halladay is good, but Santana is much better in my opinion. He's much harder to hit even though he isn't the horse that Halladay is.

3. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

NL - Santana
    AL - Lackey

And neither are an easy call.

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I'd say Halladay is better than Lackey mainly for his consistency. The difficulty with ranking Halladay is he has never really had a strong field or powerful lineup to back him up. If he was on a high run-producing team, I believe he'd have a lot more wins.

5. Babe_Ruth

There's no doubt that Halladay is better then Lackey. Lackey is a good pitcher, but I wouldn't put him in my top five pitchers of the American League.

You just made a great point Cons, I've been saying that for years, just imagine if Halladay pitched for the Red Sox. Who have a strong line up for first hitter to last hitter. If you look at last season Halladay only got 3 runs per game in all his loses. Now one of the main reason why he lost so many game this season.

6. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

As I said it's not an easy call and you have a great point regarding the team around Doc Const. But lets also throw in that it's the best pitcher in the league "today", and yes Doc is still great but I just think that John's better. As much as I hate acknowledging this, credit some of my choice to the numbers.

You can also acredit some of this to Max Kellerman who may of brainwashed me into thinking that Lackey is in fact the best in the AL.

I mean on the other side of the coin I think there could be a good argument made for Webb over Santana.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  7. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Registered Member

If Roy Halladay pitched for Boston, he may have won 25 games and sure as heck wouldn't have lost 11. He's the man, along with Johan Santana of the Mets.

Don't be shocked to see young Jair Jurrjens rank among the best of the best this year.

8. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

Also one would think we can make a good argument for Kasmir as the best in the AL.

9. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Registered Member

I agree with this. Had he not injured his elbow at the start of the year, he would have made the Cy Young race VERY interesting.

10. Babe_Ruth

Kazmir is a good pitcher, one of the best your pitchers in the league, but as of right now, I don't think he's in the top three, maybe not even in the top 5. But hes got an hell of an arm, and the Mets must be kicking themselves for trading this guy for Victor Zambrano.