• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Best officiated league?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was curious to know who you guys thought was the best officiated league? You can choose from any of the major four sports or College Basketball and Football. We'll leave it at those six choices though.

Personally I always believed that College Basketball always had great officiating, and I believe they have the best refs in those six choices. Obviously they make mistakes, every league does, I just don't think it's as bad has the other sports league.

Just for the fun of it, I would rank the NBA the worst.

To make your selection, try to take the last five to ten years you've watched in consideration.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I've always thought the NFL and MLB do a great job of officiating. I agree College Basketball is pretty good too. I would definitely say the NBA is by far the worst.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
It's amazing how well timed the refs have to be in baseball, but it's also a differently paced sport that basketball or football. But I'd probably have to go with MLB as being one of the better officiated sports. Whenever there's a bad call, it almost always makes the news. If there's a bad call in any other sport, no one really cares.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'd say the NHL and MLB are the best officiated, but maybe that's because I don't watch a whole lot of either one. I guess the NFL officials are pretty good, but I dislike a lot of the rules.

NBA refs are definitely terrible. College refs aren't great either.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
What bothers me about Major League umpires is that most of them have there own general idea of what a strike and ball is, which means that most of them are not consistent. I do tend to agree that they do a good job most of the time, but I hate how you'll have one umpire call a strike at the knee level, and another umpire calling it a ball.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
What bothers me about Major League umpires is that most of them have there own general idea of what a strike and ball is, which means that most of them are not consistent. I do tend to agree that they do a good job most of the time, but I hate how you'll have one umpire call a strike at the knee level, and another umpire calling it a ball.
I don't have a problem with that at all so long as the umpire himself is consistent. If he calls it a strike with pitcher A, he should call it a strike with pitcher B. I think by and large they are like that.

What I also like about MLB umpires is you don't see the favoritism you see in the NBA. Sure guys like Maddox got the benefit of the doubt at times when he was on the mound, but superstars in the NBA can get away with so much any other player cannot get away with.

Calling balls and strikes consistently is something I would consider one of the hardest officiating things to do. If they can be consistent I don't understand why NBA officials cannot be.