Best NFL Football Player Ever?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Baseball has Babe Ruth. Basketball has Michael Jordan. I don't follow football as much so I'm wondering if there is somebody who is considered the best football player ever?

I know football is probably harder to rank this for because of the different positions but even so, who would you consider the best ever and is there somebody that the experts consider to be the best ever?

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
Many would say Walter Peyton or Jim Brown. Also names like Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, Emmit Smith are thrown around. I honestly can't be one to judge I havent seen them actually play live (or if I have I don't recall).

I will say though I haven't seen many of those players actually play many games (that I can recall) in my lifetime. Also notably I can't think of many defensive players at all that come to mind.

I will say right now we are witnessing something special between Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and LT. I can say I was watching football from the start of their careers till the eventual finish.

Because football has different positions and different roles for different players there is no open and shut case for many players. There isn't a "MJ" of football at least I don't think there is.

If you look for QB superbowl wins I am sure that Montana is the guy. If you look at statistics probably Dan Marino, although Peyton and Brady are surpassing his statistics.

If you are looking for ints thrown look no further than Brett Favre.

Probably by position the QB is the most dynamic and central figure on the offense so a lot of people will mention them. Some will feel its the RB. On the defensive side Middle Linebackers and Safetys are probably going to be the players mentioned.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Like Swift said it's hard to rank a greatest player because there's so many different positions, you have players that only play on offense and some players that only player on defense. But if I had to pick one I'd probably go with Walter Payton, I haven't seen him play live but I've watched many tapes of him because after watching his Beyond the Glory I fell in love with him. He wasn't afraid of contact, every time he had the ball he would make a tackler miss, his work ethic was amazing, he had speed strength and most important heart. To me he's the best of the best.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Like Swift and BR said, football is different because of all the positions that are so different from each other. It's like each position is its own sport, with its own "best player ever." Every position in football has a different set of statistics. It's like trying to compare a pitcher to a position player in baseball. Who's to say that the best offensive lineman to ever play the game isn't the best football player to ever play the game? I hate how quarterbacks, running backs, and wide receivers get all the attention just because they're the ones scoring the points. The offensive line is perhaps more important and makes it possible for the offense to move the ball. The defense prevents the other team from scoring. So I don't think there is a best football player ever. You have to do it position by position.

BigBob

Registered Member
I feel like this is going to be a broken record thread.

You can't just put your finger on one player. You can look at the person who won the most Super bowls, with the most touchdowns, tackles.. there's some many stats, so many different aspects of the game.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
The eras of football come into play as well...its so hard to pinpoint one person to say the greatest of all time in football.

Its such a team sport its hard to tell sometimes because Dan Marino has no Super Bowls and Trent Dilfer has one.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
It may be like the Heisman Trophy award. Most people just recognize offense, and football has different people playing O and D. So it's not like basketball where you play both ends.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I believe the 60's, 70's and 80's were tougher times to play in my opinion, the penalties weren't called as much you had guys like Dick Butkis who wanted to tear your head off everytime he hit you. Don't get me wrong this ERA is great, I just believe back then was tougher to play, less padding as well.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
It was a more physical game back then. It was all about running the football. I think today's players are better, but the players back then were tougher.

BigBob

Registered Member
There are a few players who play like they did back in the day, and I wish the running game was used more then it is. Today you have your running teams and your passing teams.