Best manager today?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

There's a lot of great managers in the Major Leagues, who do you believe is the best and why?

When you choose a manager I'm not talking about his whole career, I mostly talking about the last few seasons.

2. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I really like what Joe Torre has done with the Dodgers. That guy is a class act and is old-school baseball all the way.

3. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

This is tough. Bobby Cox, Joe Torre and Tony La Russa are the best if you consider their careers but these days? They might still be but I'll go ahead and pick someone else though; just to be different.

I'll take Ron Gardenhire. He's been so successful for a team with almost no payroll flexibility. Joe Maddon would be up there if the Rays made the playoffs again this year. I like Mike Scioscia alot as well.

4. Babe_Ruth

Personally I have to give it to Mike Scioscia, I think he's the brightest manager in the Major Leagues. He reads other teams really well, and has a play call for almost every situation. He's great at motivation his players and bringing out the best of them.

If I was a young player coming into the league I would love to have Scioscia has my manager because I know he would work hard with me to improve my game and make me a better over all player.

Usually catchers makes for better managers in my opinion.

Other examples; Joe Torre and Joe Giradi

5. Ramiel

Ramiel Registered Member

I would have to say Joe Torre. Terry Francona isn't bad. Well, he isn't as bad as people think he is/

6. SqueakScolari

SqueakScolari Registered Member

Ron Gardenhire gets the nod for me. He consistently pushes out contenders for the Twins with rosters that don't look like they can compete in April. He makes good moves and doesn't complicate things. Same goes for Scocisia. They are two of the best, IMO.

Also have to give a nod to Joe Torre. Managing the Yankees looked like a fairly easy job on paper but he did a great job to hold them together throughout the dynasty. Different style of managing but he gets the job done.

I think Tony La Russa is overrated. It is hard to argue with his track record but all the lineups he fills out are based on numbers against that games pitcher. I would think it would be hard for players on the team to get in rhythms but it seems to work for him.

7. Babe_Ruth

I agree with Gardenhire, other than Morneau and Mauer this team is filled with role players that get the job done. It seems that Gardenhire gets the best out of his players.

It just seems that his players love to play for him, so they give 110% everytime they step onto that field.