• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Best kind of Zombie stories?

Better way for a Zombie attack to start?

• Supernatural causes (such as black magic, religion-based fiction, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I know there are a lot of huge zombie fans here at GeneralForum, and I thought this would be an interesting discussion.

What is the best way to create a zombie story in terms of consequences causing the outbreak/infestation?

Is it through supernatural circumstances, or through scientific circumstances? Or through another means not listed above?

Vote and discuss!

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Leave it vague: Ramero style. The point isn't why the dead are rising to consume the flesh of the living, but what happens when they do. I'll tell you what happens: everyone's too busy trying not to be zombie food to figure out what's going on.

Konshentz

Konshentz
My love of zombies started with the Resident Franchise, so I definitely have to go with scientific. There are so many different ways you can go with that & to me, that's the most realistic.

I don't care for supernatural zombies. Loses a little of it's cool factor for me. Ha.

Impact

V.I.P.
I agree with Kons. Definitely have to go with Scientific causes as the best. Plus it could actually happen in real life which makes it that much more awesome.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I went with scientific for the same reasons...the first Resident Evil was my introduction to how cool and semi-realistic a viral outbreak zombie story could be. The fact that besides action-packed zombie killing it also had corporate intrigue and science made the franchise pretty damn cool.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
It's better if they don't tell us. Or if they want to, make it come completely out of left field. "I farted and they become zombies."

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
It's better if they don't tell us. Or if they want to, make it come completely out of left field. "I farted and they become zombies."
See, I think that knowing the reason at some point in a story adds more depth. Some zombie stories can get away with "just survival" and ignore the depth, but the truly good ones have it.

And just WTF to the farting. :lol:

LifeinthePond

Mark ov teh Pond
I'd have to go with supernatural. I find it's much easier when you don't have to wrap your brain around undead corpses and why they are running amok. Scientific may be more for realism but it's still full of plot holes and unexplained phenomena just as any. Like Resident Evil movies, taking a scientific approach as the cause but it's still not without heavy supernatural elements; I.E. a robot(?) chick rendering a sky full of undead birds to ash. That's as supernatural as it gets.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I'd have to go with supernatural. I find it's much easier when you don't have to wrap your brain around undead corpses and why they are running amok. Scientific may be more for realism but it's still full of plot holes and unexplained phenomena just as any. Like Resident Evil movies, taking a scientific approach as the cause but it's still not without heavy supernatural elements; I.E. a robot(?) chick rendering a sky full of undead birds to ash. That's as supernatural as it gets.
That's your problem right there... going by the Resident Evil movies, instead of the games. I wish the movies could be completely erased from reality. Haha. The movies were embarrassing and gave people that hadn't played the games the wrong idea about them.

Last edited:

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
That's your problem right there... going by the Resident Evil movies, instead of the games. I wish the movies could be completely erased from reality. Haha. The movies were embarrassing and gave people that hadn't played the games the wrong idea about them.
Mind you that they added a MAJOR character not even mentioned in the canon. Grr. Don't even get me started with that.