Best instrument if you will only learn one?

Discussion in 'Art & Creative' started by Mirage, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't play anything currently but I'd like to get back into learning piano. I think it's one of the best instruments to know if you are only going to learn just one.

Mainly because you don't have to know other people who play other things to play alongside you if you don't want to. Things like drums or even guitar (aside from acoustic) are usually better when played alongside other instruments.

Acoustic guitar would be another one that can work well by itself.

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

acoustic guitar. :nod:

3. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Harmonica. Pianos and acoustic guitars do not fit in your pocket.

4. kiwi

kiwi The Original Kiwi

I agree piano is an excellent instrument to know but unfortunately they aren't very portable. Most other instruments are easy to tote around with you but a piano is as much a piece of furniture as it is an instrument. I've dabbled in both guitar and viola and piano is still my absolute favorite instrument.

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well pianos aren't portable but keyboards are very easy to move from place to place. Sure you can't have it in your pocket but it works well if you have a case for the main board with handles on it.

6. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Piano for sure. I'd love to learn how to play guitar, but piano is my favorite instrument.

7. MrPancake13

MrPancake13 You, sir, are an ASSHAT!!

guitar either way can be played alone, or with a group. i play both, but mainly electric. electric can be used alot for experimentation (kinky guitar lol) of sounds (check out Tom Morello). so yeah, you dont always need a band. just some talent and patience

8. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

[​IMG]

Da Jews Harp!

I dont even know how it works, but it sounds so COOL!

Oh and...btw.

[​IMG]

9. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

i play the trumpet but I can't say that I wouldn't rather play the guitar.

10. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

If you play the piano, you're basically set for any other instrument (might be for guitar as well, not sure). The only thing that you really need to learn after that is instrument posture since you can already read the two most common clefs.

I think I'd like to play the guitar. Guitar guarantees smexiness. All you have to do is pretend you know how to play one, take a picture in black and white, and wait for the ladies. :D But actually, the guitar is another instrument that offers a wide range of notes so you can play a large range of songs if you're skilled.