• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Best Home run hitter

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
In your opinions who do you think is the best home run hitter of all time?

I have to go with Babe Ruth on this one, even though Barry Bonds has the most career home runs, I wouldn't put him on the top three list because of is alleged steroids that he took.

Now a lot of people will say Aaron is the true home run champ since he's second on the list after Bonds, but if you look at some stats you'll realize that Ruth is the best.

Ruth career games: 2503
Ruth Career At-Bats: 8398
Ruth Career Home Runs: 714

Aaron career games: 3298
Aaron career at-bats: 12364
Aaron career home runs: 755

So if Ruth had the same at-bats and games played as Aaron did then he would defenitely be way higher then 755 career homes runs.

Opinions?

SHOELESSJOE3

Registered Member
Who do you guys think is the greatest hitter of all time?

Once again I have to give it to Ruth with Tyrus Cobb coming a close second. Ruth hit for power and for average, he once said that if he knew this game was about hitting singles then he would of hitted .500 for a season. He had close to 2900 hits, in just a bit more then 2800 games, that's a hit a game, then you consider that he was more of a home run, then it makes it more impressive.

I know Cobb has the highest career batting average of .366 and has had 4189 career hits, but if you take everything into consideration you have to give the edge to Babe Ruth in my opinion.

Opinions?
I am still in Babe's corner. Cobb a phenomenal hitter and although his career .512 slugging is way down on the list, it's very good he did play much of his career in the dead ball era.

Ruth is just too much, the greatest combination of a hitter and slugger over a whole career. Ruth's only real challenge as a hitter/slugger is Ted Williams, Lou Gehrig close third.

Ruth had 4 seasons with 50 or more home runs, no hitter had more than 4 seasons with 50 or more. True Sosa had 3 seasons with 60 or more, Mac had some seasons 60 or more and one season at 70. But what we have learned about the use of steroids in the game, do we take them seriously.

Ruth had 11 seasons with 40 or more home runs, the most.
Aaron, Killebrew and Bonds all had 8 seasons with 40 or more.

Consider this, Ruth began as a pitcher. Babe Ruth never had a 40 0r 50 home run season until his 7th season 1920, his career was already one quarter over.

Babe Ruth is one of only 3 hitters with 700+ home runs. Going into his 7th season, after 6 seasons in MLB he had only 49 career home runs.

The bulk of Ruth's numbers came in a 15 year stretch 1920-1934, he played only 28 games in 1934.

Add to that he holds the 5th highest career batting average of modern time (1900) hitters, .342.

He could do it all.

1923 he was only 4 hits shy of batting .400.

In 1917 he just missed pitching a no-hitter against the best hitting team in baseball, the Detroit Tigers. The only hit came in the 8th inning and was a drive that hit Ruth in the leg, the second baseman picked up the ball but the runner beat the throw.

In 1916 most agree his pitching performance could have won him a Cy Young award had there been one at that time.

Nine times he faced off as a pitcher against Walter Johnson. Ruth won 6 of those games. True the Red Sox were a better team than Johnson's Senators but 3 of Ruth's wins were by scores of 1-0.

Ruth is just too much, he changed the whole strategy of the game the stolen base was not used as much, one swing could change the game,, Even the playing field was altered because of his style, before Ruth foul lines were painted on the ground only. After Ruth hit some over the roof of the Polo Grounds they had to paint lines up to the roof to make it easier to tell fair or foul. These painted lines were the precursor to what we now call the foul pole.

He's in another league, all his own.
------
I am still in Babe's corner. Cobb a phenomenal hitter and although his career .512 slugging is way down on the list, it's very good he did play much of his career in the dead ball era.

Ruth is just too much, the greatest combination of a hitter and slugger over a whole career. Ruth's only real challenge as a hitter/slugger is Ted Williams, Lou Gehrig close third.

Ruth had 4 seasons with 50 or more home runs, no hitter had more than 4 seasons with 50 or more. True Sosa had 3 seasons with 60 or more, Mac had some seasons 60 or more and one season at 70. But what we have learned about the use of steroids in the game, do we take them seriously.

Ruth had 11 seasons with 40 or more home runs, the most.
Aaron, Killebrew and Bonds all had 8 seasons with 40 or more.

Consider this, Ruth began as a pitcher. Babe Ruth never had a 40 0r 50 home run season until his 7th season 1920, his career was already one quarter over.

Babe Ruth is one of only 3 hitters with 700+ home runs. Going into his 7th season, after 6 seasons in MLB he had only 49 career home runs.

The bulk of Ruth's numbers came in a 15 year stretch 1920-1934, he played only 28 games in 1934.

Add to that he holds the 5th highest career batting average of modern time (1900) hitters, .342.

He could do it all.

1923 he was only 4 hits shy of batting .400.

In 1917 he just missed pitching a no-hitter against the best hitting team in baseball, the Detroit Tigers. The only hit came in the 8th inning and was a drive that hit Ruth in the leg, the second baseman picked up the ball but the runner beat the throw.

In 1916 most agree his pitching performance could have won him a Cy Young award had there been one at that time.

Nine times he faced off as a pitcher against Walter Johnson. Ruth won 6 of those games. True the Red Sox were a better team than Johnson's Senators but 3 of Ruth's wins were by scores of 1-0.

Ruth is just too much, he changed the whole strategy of the game the stolen base was not used as much, one swing could change the game,, Even the playing field was altered because of his style, before Ruth foul lines were painted on the ground only. After Ruth hit some over the roof of the Polo Grounds they had to paint lines up to the roof to make it easier to tell fair or foul. These painted lines were the precursor to what we now call the foul pole.

He's in another league, all his own.
When I posted this one I did not know there was another thread titled "Best Home Run Hitter". I would think this post of mine would fit into that other thread since I dealt with Babe's home run hitting here. Can a moderator move my post to that other thread...Best Home Run Hitter.

Last edited:

Funyun

In my opinion, there is no doubt that Ruth was the best HR hitter of all time. He revolutionized the game of baseball with his frequent, titanic home runs. Picture what it must have been like for players and fans of his era. They were used to small ball - dead balls, singles, doubles, bunts, stolen bases, sacrifices, one-run-at-a-time baseball. Along comes this big freak of nature who can wallop a ball farther than anyone before him and does so unabashedly.

Many of the old-time dead ball players were appalled at the way Ruth would swing from his heels, not seeming to care if it resulted in a strikeout, the bane of a hitters existence back then. Imagine that... there was actually a stigma attached to a hitter who struck out fairly frequently. His strikeout totals are tame compared to that of today's hitters. Once managers realized that a three-run HR was better scratching out a run at a time, it was 'game on', and the old timers didn't like it one little bit. Imagine how old diehards back in 1973 HATED the new DH rule with a passion. Many (present company included) still do. Well, multiply that several times over and you have the equivalent of how much many baseball insiders at the time hated this new game of long ball. Surely, THIS wasn't baseball!

Not only did Ruth revolutionize the game, he also single-handedly (practically) resurrected it from the dead following the Black Sox scandal of 1919. Many 'cranks' had been tired of hearing rumors of 'Hippodroming' (the practice of throwing games for money) and had been willing to turn a blind eye to it for the sake of the game, when the BS scandal reared it's hideous Hydra head. It shook the foundations of the game like nothing had before it, as fans were finally ready to admit they didn't trust anyone associated with the game anymore and vowed to stay away from the park in droves.

Ruth (aided, admittedly, by a slightly more 'active' ball) brought them right back to the stadium to witness his prodigious power, as he smashed the then-absurd total of 54 homers (which far surpassed his previous year's record total of 29 home runs). The Babe seems to have saved the game, at least a lot quicker than it otherwise would have been. That, coupled with a .342 lifetime BA, ridiculous .690 slugging average and his larger-than-life persona... yeah. Of course he is the 'best' HR hitter of all time. Bonds? Eh..... Too many factors led to his crazy home run total. Almost 1500 more ABs than Ruth sure helped, and his .607 SA was far outpaced by the Babe. He was also permitted to wear an arm brace (which was grandfathered into his contract once they were banned), which enabled him to lean out over the plate with abandon, thus robbing pitchers of the ability to intimidate him by coming inside with a fastball). This was much more of a contributing factor to his hitting than many seem to realize. Then there is the steroid thing, which has been played to death, so I won't even broach that subject, except to say that it, also, played a very major role in his HR output, IMHO. No, Barry Bonds is living proof that more is not always better.

There's really no one at all who compares with Babe Ruth in this argument, IMO. Sosa? McGwire? Nope. The babe stands alone as the best HR hitter ever. To me, this is a no-brainer, but I'm sure there are probably others who would disagree

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's no doubt in my mind either that he's the best Home Run Hitter.

I totally agree with your post, he saved the game of baseball after the Black Sox scandal, which many believed that it would ruin the sport. But along comes this kid name Babe Ruth, who starts hitting monster home runs, which fans aren't use to. It was new to them, before the Babe home runs were really rare. But he changed that in a big way after he joined the Yankees, he started hitting them in bunches. Everytime he went to the plate he wanted to hit one out. He challenged himself.

Like you mentioned, you cannot find a better home run hitter then him, two people have more career home runs then he does, but in my opinion that doesnt make them better home run hitters then him.