Best Guitarist - Poll #2

Who's the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'm a little late in getting this one up. The last one was a bit of a blow away but I see this one being very, very close.

As always, I'd like to remind you guys to discuss and think about your votes before you decide. Watch the videos, too, because you might not have seen/heard of them before. Also I want to note that we have a variety of music styles here and you need to take into account that comparing across genres is inherently hard.

Tony Iommi
Tom Morello
Dave Navarro
Robert Johnson
Slash
Phil Collins - DQ'd for not being a guitarist. He's a drummer.

I'll be reserving my judgement for later.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
No doubt in my mind Slash is the best guitarist in this talented group he's simply amazing on the guitar in my opinion as you can by the solo that DaStevez posted.

But come on guys we need more votes.

Doc

V.I.P.
I'm going to disagree with Morello. I feel that he's an excellent guitarist but he tends to use pedals and effects way too much.

Slash and Iommi are more technical guitar players. Iommi is the better riff writer and Slash is the better soloist.

Any arguments?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Robert Johnson. The others may be better from a technical standpoint, but there's not as much passion in their playing, especially Tony Iommi. Tom Morello definitely uses effects too much and his riffs all sound the same.

p.s. If someone ever made a movie about Robert Johnson, Mykelti Williamson should play him.

Doc

V.I.P.
I agree that Robert Johnson had the passion. I think that G&R era Slash really felt what he was playing and kind of just dropped off after that.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would somewhat disagree with you Steve, Slash is still known as one of the best guitarist in the World, he's not on the top of the world like he was with GnR, but he's still a great guitarist for Velvet Revolver.

Robert Johnson was one of a kind, he died at a very young age, so who knows how better he could of gotten,but I wouldn't select him over Slash or Iommi.

By The way I'm curious to know who posted Phil Collins as a guitarist?

Last edited:

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
This was a hard choice to make. I really like Tom and Robert, but I had to go with Slash on this one. He's never disappointed me, and his solos aren't even arguble of being the best. Like November Rain for example..simply out of this world.

Doc

V.I.P.
I would somewhat disagree with you Steve, Slash is still known as one of the best guitarist in the World, he's not on the top of the world like he was with GnR, but he's still a great guitarist for Velvet Revolver.
No he's not. How can he be a great guitarist for a band that was a commercial failure and broke up after their second band? What about Slash's Snakepit? He's nothing without G&R.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sorry but I disagree with you, don't get me wrong being in GnR really helped him be known as one of the best guitarist in the world, but just because Velvet Revolver failed, it wasn't because of him. He still put on a hell of a show with his guitar.