Best Goalie of All Time?

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by padd, Mar 30, 2008.

1. padd

padd Registered Member

Who is the best goalie of all time. Patrick Roy easily wins the best playoff goalie of all time [by a mile] but sadly i think his stay @ best goalie of all time will go out when Marty Brodeur breaks the all time wins record and shutouts record.. then again i think Roy retired way before his time.

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I wouldn't say that Roy wins it by a mile, but I honestly believe that Patrick Roy is still the best of all time. The things he has done in his career is simply amazing and unbelievable. Leading his team to a stanley cup win in his rookie year, is simply amazing. But I would of love to see Dryden play more then eight years to see how good he could of been, he retired during his prime.

3. padd

padd Registered Member

Dryden was an elite goalie, he and Roy won the Cup as a rookie.. But I say Roy wins it by a mile in the playoffs cuz, hes got over 150 wins in the playoffs, the next closest is in the 90's or 80 wins category. and he's won the most Conn Smyhte.. not even Gretzky or Lemieux won that many.

I dont understand how he only won 3 Vezina and Hasek won 6 i do not understand that at all seriously, Hasek couldn't win it all befpre moving to detroit, and the only reason he damnded Detroit was because they were the best. When Roy was with the Habs he carried that team. And about Colorado, even though they were good, dont forget they were in the best Confrence in hockey history during the mid to late 90;s

if he were still playing now insterad of coaching fights in the Q, Brodeur would never never dream of catching up to him

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Roy

Look at the records, look at the stats. Make the excuses for "times changing along with rules and the game in general" and I'll comeback with... "Roy stepped up to the changes and excelled in them." enough said.

5. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Man, I knew this thread would be an er-wah love-fest. What about Terry Sawchuk? He still holds the record for career shut outs (103, people - 103 career shut outs) and ties, and his wins record stood for thirty years. And he did it without all the big pads.

6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Sawchuk was a great goalie, he was unbeatable at times which is why he holds the record for most shutouts. But I wouldn't say he's better then Patrick Roy. Roy was an elite goalie, and carried many teams on his shoulders especialy come playoff time. He might not have the most shutouts, he might not have the most 40 wins seasons, but in my opinion and on a lot of other peoples opinions he's the best of the best.

7. icegoat63

Thats another thing that makes these kind of opinionated threads so hard... I never got a chance to see Terry Sawchuck, Ken Dryden, Cecil "Tiny" Thompson, or any of the other H.O.F. goalies play. But I did however got to see Patrick Roy play lots and lots of games. So I'll admit that Im biased in that sense. Plus the game I know during Patrick Roys era (1985-2003) was nothing like the game from Tiny Thompsons era (1928-40).

8. padd

padd Registered Member

Another reason not to overlook Brodeur.. he will break the 1003 mark and he WILL break Roy's regular seasons win's mark.. on the topic of goalies who else here thinks Belfour is one of the most underated goalies of all time???

9. juha82

juha82 Registered Member

Roy
    Don't forget Euro-goalie Dominik Hasek!
    Sawchuk is one of the best without doubt.
    Martin Brodeur

But i choice P.Roy(St.Patrick) for the winner.
    I think he isn't maybe a winner for the person.
    But he is a strong guy for the person but not all the nicest though.
    I am not still 100% sure as i don't know him so well.

10. icegoat63

Im not a fan of Belfour. Hated him in Toronto...In fact the acquisition of Him and Lindros were what absolutely killed any Leaf fandom I had! The only place I've ever liked seeing him at was Dallas and thats just because I hate Dallas to!

Brodeur is a really cool goaltender to watch. I've got a couple NHL documentaries where he is one of the spotlights. Its not often we get to see people with a talent and attitude like Martin Brodeur!