Best games you've played in 2009

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
Since i don't plan on buying any game Till next year i've finally came up with my "best of" list.

It has been a great year thus far in terms of new releases, but there was also some backtracking going on so i included those on my list as well, to be honest it wasn't very hard.

And so it goes:

8- Modern warfare 2

Barely touched the Campaign more, did a few co-op missions but its on the MP where the party's at. Going for the second prestige and having a lot of fun.

7- Street fighter 4

New to the SF franchise, this game took me by surprise. If it had a more unique cast and tag team battle it might had dethroned Rival schools from the top of my fighters list.

6- Professor layton and the curious village

Involving story pushed through with ingenious puzzles based on Akira Tago's popular Mental Gymnastics, Thats what its all about.

5- Tekken 6

Took what was already great and made it more solid and wide, juggles,cancels, reversals and parry's never felt better. Great battle mechanics, great online.

4- Uncharted 2

After the dust settles, its an amazing single player experience with tons of replayability.

3- Ninja gaiden sigma 2

The best and more deep action game out there, from all the hack and slash games i've played, no one reaches this level in battle and weapons. Epic boss fights, decent story, awesome female characters and a incredibly fun co-op only ruined by its absurd difficulty on harder settings.

2- Dragon age

The best RPG this year, not quite the level of oblivion in certain areas, but storywise its just plain awesome and with incredible depth in both combat and dialog.

1- Ninja gaiden sigma

While its sequel has the upper hand in battle and weapons, Sigma 1 its simply a better game overall throughout the main campaign and Mission modes, bosses are more unique and upgrade system more competent.

No other game had me sweating like this one, just to come crawling back for more in more than 150 hours of pure pwnage.

Games that unfortunately didn't make it because i didn't play them:

Blazblue
Muramasa: the demon Blade
Demon souls

Now, let me see yours ^^

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Borderlands
Not sure what I like about it exactly, but something pretty much draws me to it.

Zeno Clash
Nice little first person beat-em-up with an interesting storyline.

The Path
Not exactly much of a game, it's more of a piece of art in game form. And I'm a sucker for them.

Team Fortress 2
What is there to say? It's bleedin' TF2

Dystopia
Basically what the Shadowrun FPS should have been like. Fast paced combat, a variety of implants, and cyberspace. It makes me go WHHHEEEEEEE!

Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis
It may be dated, but it's still damn fun, and will kick your ass whenever it feels like it.

Batman: Arkham Asylum
First Batman game I've played that was actually any good. I just wished the investigation stages could have been more varied and in-depth though.

Last edited:
Uncharted 2 and Batman: Arkham Asylum without question.

Uncharted 2 has great graphics, an awesome story, great voice acting, plenty of action and platforming and you feel like you're playing inside a big Hollywood blockbuster.

Arkham Asylum is just a lot of fun, with more depth than your average beat'em up game. The asylum is huge, with plenty of places to explore and search for The Riddlers hidden items. I liked the story, the voice acting and it looked great.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
In terms of just 2009 releases two games rank up there for me. One is Dragon Age and the second is Halo 3 ODST. I regularly play Halo 3 MP but Halo ODST was a nice change of pace.

I also played two other games in 2009 that were 2008/2007 releases. Bioshock and The Orange Box I picked up in early 2009 and they were excellent games. These two games were both better than ODST and comparable to Dragon Age. I beat Dragon Age recently and I really didn't like my ending.

I played Ninja Gaiden 2, Halo Wars, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, and Madden 10 all this year also. They are really only worth noting.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
My favorite games of this year are (in order):

Modern Warfare 2 (360, PS3, PC) - I wasn't a huge fan of the first Modern Warfare but it was definitely a rush and a lot of fun to play. I fell in love with the second one immediately even after being entirely ignorant of the hype. Never was I really excited for the game until I plugged it in and played. Awesome title with a ton of replayability thanks to the greatest multiplayer service since Battle.net

Borderlands (360, PS3, PC) - Do you like collecting loot? Do you like laughing? Do you like guns? How about a hundred guns? Maybe a thousand? What about eight bazillion? Borderlands is a wicked fun time and made even better with friends. It took a fairly new but not unexplored genre (FPS/RPG) and blended the two perfectly. Oh and it has Claptrap.
Torchlight (PC) - Here's my ace in the hole. Torchlight is a cheap (as in $20) Diablo style RPG with cartoonish graphics and the soul of Diablo built into its very bones. Hell, even some of the Diablo staff worked on the game including the music composer. It's a fairly simple game and nothing that will blow your mind, but it's an awesome time killer between now and Diablo III.

Arkham Asylum (360, PS3, PC) -
It's actually a "good" Batman game. You play as the goddamn Batman. End of story.

Demon's Souls (PS3) -
I quit this game earlier last month becuase it's difficulty level borders on sadism. However, I had to add it because it's a very addicting game with simple mechanics and beautiful visuals. Not to mention, endless character creation possibilities. So try it out, as long

Resident Evil 5 (360, PS3) -
I totally forgot that RE5 shambled out onto shelves this year. It feels like it was years ago. Just shows you how time lies, eh? It was nothing new to the series and nothing groundbreaking but it is a fucking beautiful game and it polishes the new standards RE4 set for the genre. The game felt a bit short but it did some extreme fan service and tied up a ton of loose ends throughout the RE timeline. No clue as to how they will follow this up, but here's hoping RE6 is just as awesome.

Pokemon Platinum (DS) - My obsession lives on (and will next year when Heart Gold and Soul Silver are released for DS) and Pokemon Platinum does what every "third" generational entry has done throughout the series. Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and now Platinum all took the current generations they came from and made them even better.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Demon's Souls (PS3) - [/B]I quit this game earlier last month becuase it's difficulty level borders on sadism. However, I had to add it because it's a very addicting game with simple mechanics and beautiful visuals. Not to mention, endless character creation possibilities. So try it out, as long
zomg, what is the rest?!

This year I've really enjoyed Left4Dead2, Halo 3: ODST, and Sims 3:World Adventures.

I'm currently playing Borderlands and am having a lot of fun on that one too.

Resident Evil 5 (360, PS3) - I totally forgot that RE5 shambled out onto shelves this year. It feels like it was years ago. Just shows you how time lies, eh? It was nothing new to the series and nothing groundbreaking but it is a fucking beautiful game and it polishes the new standards RE4 set for the genre. The game felt a bit short but it did some extreme fan service and tied up a ton of loose ends throughout the RE timeline. No clue as to how they will follow this up, but here's hoping RE6 is just as awesome.
On Resident Evil's wikipedia page, it says RE6 could be a complete reboot and could also take 8 years. Lets hope thats bullshit. Ha.

Oh and in an interview from early this year, Jun Takeuchi said the following...
1UP: Speaking of where the Resident Evil series is now, the last two games focused on the Las Plagas infected enemies. Do you think we'll ever see a return to plain-old, stupid-ass zombies?

JT: Yes, certainly, I think that's a possibility some time in the future. I don't think the type of enemies we have in the series right now have to be in the series forever. I think you might see a return to the slow zombies of old someday
I hope it actually happens, love the new games but miss the old enemies and feel.

This year I've really enjoyed Left4Dead2, Halo 3: ODST, and Sims 3:World Adventures.
So, exactly how awesome are the Left4Dead games? My cousin has a 360 and I'd like to rent them. Is there a good story? What kind of zombies? Are they actually zombies? They don't run, right? Haha.

Last edited:

Bliss

Sally Twit
GTA IV has been my favourite game this year. I only bought it a couple of months ago and I've not finished it yet. I've had a lot of fun playing online with Smelnick and a few others. I love the actual game too.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
On Resident Evil's wikipedia page, it says RE6 could be a complete reboot and could also take 8 years. Lets hope thats bullshit. Ha.
Wait, you mean starting over from Resident Evil 1?

Why?! They already have the remake on the Gamecube, do we really need yet another retcon?!