Game Cube Best game ever?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Metroid Prime might be my favorite game ever made. Definitely right up there with Ocarina of Time, Zelda II, Goldeneye, and Halo. Everything about the game is perfect (except for the fact that the original North American version crashes a lot)...the graphics, the music, the environments, the boss fights, the upgrades. I even love the scanning/logbook thing.

What were some of the things you guys liked or disliked about Metroid Prime?

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Buckeye101 said:
(except for the fact that the original North American version crashes a lot)
I have had the game since launch and never once had the game crash on me?
Ive heard of it crashing, but it has never happened to me.

I liked Prime... I am also a big Metroid fan (as if you couldnt tell from my name) The Adventure part of the game felt just like any past metroid game, they even got the jumping down pretty well considering the game is played in the first person mode...

If there is one thing I do not like about the Prime series... its the first person mode... makes it feel like too much of a shooter to me.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
My game crashes on the Tallon Overworld to Chozo Ruins elevator maybe 10-15% of the time, and in the Furnace access tunnels a little less frequently. I've heard it's a pretty common problem with the original version. I've also gotten several dirty disc errors for some reason.

I had never played the Metroid series much before Prime, so the first person mode didn't bother me at all. I think they nailed it perfectly with the controls, the visors, and some of the effects like the condensation or the reflection of Samus' eyes. It's just an amazing game. I can see how it would be a little bit of a disappointment to longtime Metroid fans though. Would you have liked it better if it was a third person perspective? Or did you only want another side-scroller?

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Buckeye101 said:
My game crashes on the Tallon Overworld to Chozo Ruins elevator maybe 10-15% of the time, and in the Furnace access tunnels a little less frequently. I've heard it's a pretty common problem with the original version. I've also gotten several dirty disc errors for some reason.
I have heard that that happens when the laser is going out on the gamecube. I am on my second one myself because the one I bought at launch died about a year ago. One of these days Ill send it to nintendo to get fixed, then Ill have 2

I had never played the Metroid series much before Prime, so the first person mode didn't bother me at all. I think they nailed it perfectly with the controls, the visors, and some of the effects like the condensation or the reflection of Samus' eyes. It's just an amazing game. I can see how it would be a little bit of a disappointment to longtime Metroid fans though. Would you have liked it better if it was a third person perspective? Or did you only want another side-scroller?

Wow, I must recommend that you at least play Super Metroid and Metroid Zero Mission (remake of orinigal metroid) those 2 by far are the greatest in the series in my mind...

I wouldnt mind in a 3rd person perspective, and the 2-D metroids are great games by themselves, so it wouldnt really matter to me. For some reason I just dont like first person perspective

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
SamusAran86 said:
Wow, I must recommend that you at least play Super Metroid and Metroid Zero Mission (remake of orinigal metroid) those 2 by far are the greatest in the series in my mind.
I have Zero Mission and Fusion for GBA. They were both a lot of fun. Super Metroid is kind of hard to find for a good price these days. I think they should do a compilation disc with Metroid, Metroid II, and Super Metroid, sort of like what they did with the Zelda series.

This definitely ranks high on my list of favorite games. I do think it's flawless, aside from the occasional crash that you already pointed out. The exploration is insanely cool, what with scanning everything you see. Some may call it tedious, but I think it just draws you in more and makes the game more immersive overall.
I also love the huge boss fights, but I wish they more insane and epic like they were in Echoes. That is the only thing Echoes has over this game, I say.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Some people say they hate the game because the scanning is so tedious, but you only really need to scan certain things, like to activate elevators and stuff. Another thing I really like is that the story is told almost exclusively in scans, so when you're playing through the game for the 15th time, you don't need to watch boring 10 minute cutscenes over and over again like you do in most other games.

A few of the boss fights in Echoes were really cool, but I'd say Prime had the better bosses overall. The bosses were actually one of the few things I wasn't disappointed with in Echoes. Still a decent game though.

I agree completely about the story being told through scans. Makes the game feel more like a game, and it's also a unique way of telling the story.
Why do you prefer the first Prime's bosses over Echoes? All of the bosses in Echoes are so epic and they constantly change their attack patterns, which keeps the fight fresh and intense. The first Prime had good boss fights, but Echoes' fights were just better overall I'd say.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't know. There's definitely a lot more boss fights in Echoes, but I felt as though the ones in Prime were more fun. Flaaghra, Thardus, Ridley, and Metroid Prime are all awesome. The only one is Echoes that I thought was really cool was the Spider Guardian. Actually the Dark Samus fights were fun too. Quadraxis and Chykka were ok (Chykka took me literally like 30 minutes to beat cause I couldn't figure out how to damage it, but it was impossible to get killed cause it gave so many refills). Some of the other fights were just annoying, like the Boost Guardian. Emperor Ing's final form was basically Metroid Prime.

Don't forget about that defense mechanism you fight at the Sanctuary Fortress, where you have to boost off of the spider tracks to damage it. I thought that fight was cool, but people always seem to overlook it.
I don't know how you can say Quadraxis was just an ok fight. I've never had such an epic boss battle in a videogame before. There were so many different phases to the fight, it really made you think of what you had to do to beat him.
Basically what I'm trying to say is that each boss in Echoes is as memorable as each boss in the first Prime, but the battles themselves are even more challenging and interesting.