• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Advice Best free office software

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I've always used Microsoft Office in the past, but I don't want to fork over more money to Microsoft, so I'm looking for some free software perhaps. I would probably use it mostly for spreadsheets.

One name that has come up in my searches is LibreOffice. The reviews sound pretty good. I guess since it's free I can give it a try and have nothing to lose. Anybody here have any experience with it or have any other recommendations?

dDave

V.I.P.
I'd go for Open Office by Sun Microsystems.

It's the most similar to Microsoft Office from the programs I've used and it's open source software.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Open Office was apparently discontinued a couple years ago and LibreOffice is a successor to it. I went ahead and downloaded LibreOffice. At first glance, it seems like it will suit my needs, but time will tell.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Open Office is by far the best. It has an almost identical interface to Office 2000.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Another vote for Open Office and as far as I know it is still alive and well and on checking it can still be downloaded from here.

I know of no other pieces of software that is really that good, I didn't even get a proper office package with my Mac despite them giving me free audio and video editing software so had to install Microsoft Office for Mac, rather odd that!

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I've used both and I think LibreOffice is the better pick. Not to mention, it's nice to use software that is still receiving support from developers unlike Open Office.