• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Best foreign Films

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
The first foreign film I remember watching as a child was a film my parents introduced me to called The Last Emperor, for those of you who have never heard of it, it follows the story of Pu Yi who was the last emperor of China, of his upbringing in the Forbidden City, how his life was sheltered and he never really had a life and ultimately ended up vanishing into obscurity.

I think what fascinated me was two fold:

I was born in Hong Kong but left before I even knew where I was or what the country I was born in was like

The idea that the film had such a strong story was not your typical american film, it did not have a happy ending, it did not try to persuade you to root for one person or another and ultimately seeing a film in another language opened my eyes

I am going to come up with a list of other films I love but I wanted to see how others felt.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
For me, I have two or three foreign films that always intrigue me and are, in my opinion, the best the world has to offer.

1) Battle Royale (1999) from Japan
2) The Lives of Others from Germany
3) Nowhere in Africa from Germany

All of them are staples in my movie collection and I have seen them at least 3 or 4 times each. Battle Royale 3 times in the past 5 weeks alone.

Impact

V.I.P.
The original, not the remakes, of the Millennium series - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest. I was so annoyed when they remade/are remaking these as the originals are so good.

I haven't really seen many foreign films.

Guppy

Registered Member
"Zatoichi"

action, emotion, gambling, the eternal battle between good and evil, fight for survival, surprising moments, end...

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
I have a whole heap of Asian cinema films; mostly Japanese action and a few Korean.

Saw and interesting Thai film the other week called Chocolate. I recommend it :)

Taliesin

Registered Member
Any Studio Ghibli film would be on my list of best foreign films. There are genuinely few films (domestic or foreign) that come up to the quality of what they produce. Arrietty is a fantastic recent example.

Last edited:

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
Ooh! I love foreign films! A few of my favorite ones are, and these are in order by the way:

Oldboy - Korea
City of God - Brazil
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Hong Kong
Life is Beautiful - Italy
Salaam Bombay - India
M - Germany
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance - Korea

And there's dozens upon dozens for Asian horror films in several different languages that I love. Also, foreign films absolutely have to be in their native language for me, because I cannot fucking stand English dubs. It just ruins the entire authenticity of the film.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
A few of my favourites have already been mentioned. Such as Studio Ghibli films from Japan. I'd also add Akira and Paprika to the list of great anime films I love.

Pan's Labyrinth is another big one for me. I'm pretty sure it's a Mexican film.

Amélie is a French film that I enjoy.

Taliesin

Registered Member
Yes, Pan's Labyrinth was a devastating masterpiece! I actually cried at the end of that. Damn you, Guillermo del Toro, for making me sniffle like a little child!

I'm going to add one called 3-Iron to my list. I saw this only recently, and it was one of the most refreshingly unusual Korean films I've seen. It starts out as a story of a relationship between a drifter and an abused housewife, but ends up being something a bit more. It surprised me.

Dark_Phoenix

Registered Member
The original, not the remakes, of the Millennium series - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest. I was so annoyed when they remade/are remaking these as the originals are so good.

I haven't really seen many foreign films.
Yes, those were amazing! I've read the books and I couldn't wait to see the movies - and they didn't disappoint me at all!

Well, apparently a foreign movie to me and a foreign movie to you are different things since we come from different countries, lol :D But I'll give you a short list of my favorite movies that are not American, British, Canadian or Australian.

• Asterix and Obelix vs. Caesar (France/Germany) - One of the funniest movies ever! :D Gérard Depardieu was born to act in comedies! I've watched it like 30 times and I always get tears from laughter :D
  • Taxi 1, 2, 3, 4 (France) - Another great comedy that doesn't need introduction!
  • El Secreto de sus Ojos (Spain) - A very, very deep and beautiful story. It's about true love that never dies even after people have changed so much during the years...
  • Diario de un Skin (Spain) - This movie is good to watch. It totally changes your view on the so called skinheads and the ideology of Neo-Nazism in general.
  • Nana 1, 2 (Japanese) - Based on the popular manga and anime series. It's a wonderful adaptation, and we still get the same great soundtrack from the anime series!
  • Fanaa (Indian) - "Destroyed in love" in English.The most heart-breaking of all stories. One of the few movies that always makes me cry each time I watch it... This is the movie that made me fall in love with Bollywood cinema. Kajol is such an amazing actress... Probably not as beautiful as Aishwarya Rai but twice as charming and a hundred times more talented.
  • Sissi 1, 2, 3 (Austrian) - I highly recommend this trilogy to all the ladies. It's about a young girl, Sissi, and she marries her first cousin Franz who happens to be the emperor of Austria. Then the first world war begins...
  • Night Watch; Day Watch (Russia) - Based on the popular fantasy novels of Sergei Lukyanenko, the two movies have it all - vampires, wizards, etc. Definitely two amazing movies.
  • Fantaghiro / The Cave of the Golden Rose (Italy) - This is the movie about the princess-warrior Fantaghiro who, disguised like a knight, should defeat in battle prince Romualdo in order to bring peace to her people.
  • Let The Right One In (Sweden) - It's about the friendship between a vampire girl Eli and her human neighbor Oskar. Eli lives with an old man who pretends to be her father (he's human and actually a pedophile) and she is very lonely. Oskar lives with her drunken mom and is always bullied at school. Eli and Oskar fall in love and eventually she helps him become stronger and get his revenge.