• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Best First Date Suggestion?

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Point:
There's this girl I know. I wanna ask her for a date. I've already made my mind up to do it, but it's the suggestion of 'what to do on the date' that I'm 'umming and arring' about.
There could perhaps be better choices of what to suggest to do, ones that might go down better, so that's why I thought I'd ask:

My idea is to simply ask if I can take her for a meal sometime. And arrange a time and date if she would like to spend an hour or two with me.
Other than that there's nothing more to it. I'd rather allow her to choose the place we eat at, because I'm gentlemanly like that, but I'm not sure this is the best suggestion -
My idea seems good because in my eyes it oughta be a nice ambient setting where the mood would be very nice and cosy, and there will be ample chance to talk and get to know one another too, unlike say if I suggested we went to the cinema or a club etc...

However, perhaps there are options I am missing that would be even better. If anyone can suggest something that I could consider I would be grateful.

What do you reckon to this idea?

Furthermore, if you care to reminisce, what 'first dates' do you remember?
What did you do?
Were they successful?
Were they unsuccessful?

Share -

Bliss

Sally Twit
A meal is the safest option. Depending on where you go, it's usually quiet and you don't have to constantly talk because you'll be filling your gob.
I wouldn't go to the cinema because you won't have time to talk. However, if you planned it so that you watched a film and then had a meal, that would be fine because you'd have something to talk about it it became awkward.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Dinner to me is always the best option. If you ask her if she wants to go see a movie you'll spend a lot of time watching a movie and no time getting to know her. Dinner and a movie is ok, but if it's time for only one choice I would go with dinner. That gives you the opportunity to talk to her, get to know her, see how she is in a social setting, things like that. Do things like open the door for her, pull out her seat for her, and even get up if she gets up to go to the restroom and when she gets back, little things like that.

Good luck on your date and let us know how it went.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Going out for a meal is the standard first date. If I had to choose something where we'd get to have fun and talk at the same time I'd choose renting a boat at a lake. You can go out alone, relax on the water, and generally enjoy the day and each other's company. You could pack a lunch and have a picnic on a beach alone.

Elanor

Registered Member
Going out for a meal is the standard first date. If I had to choose something where we'd get to have fun and talk at the same time I'd choose renting a boat at a lake. You can go out alone, relax on the water, and generally enjoy the day and each other's company. You could pack a lunch and have a picnic on a beach alone.
A boat on a lake sounds like a lovely idea! As does a picnic on a beach.

I have always ended up going to quiet coffee shops on first dates. Then you can have a drink and chat, and then if it goes well progress to lunch/dinner. You could go for a walk between coffee shop and dinner.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think dinner is a great idea for a first date. It will give you a chance to talk and get to know one another. Maybe even go for a walk in a park afterwards if the conversation and dinner has been enjoyable. In some cities you can take horse drawn carriage rides which would be romantic.

Follow CO's advice and she will be very much impressed with you.

JesseCuster

Registered Member
If you do a meal, do something else immediately after, that is to say: make sure you change locations. E.g. go out for a walk, downtown, together or go sit on a bench where you have a nice view of passers by.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I disagree with that. For a first date, it's best to keep it pretty short, just in case things aren't going well.
With that said, if things do go smoothly, see how you both feel and suggest going for a drink so you can carry on chatting. Might be useful to go to a restaurant with a bar so that you can move to that area once you've finished your food. I'd never plan too much for a first date.

Zenheizer

needs practice
I disagree with that. For a first date, it's best to keep it pretty short, just in case things aren't going well.
With that said, if things do go smoothly, see how you both feel and suggest going for a drink so you can carry on chatting. Might be useful to go to a restaurant with a bar so that you can move to that area once you've finished your food. I'd never plan too much for a first date.
I agree. Also, that means you have LESS chance of ruining it because of the condensed time frame. If it goes splendid, then brilliant! And it's over! You both just can't wait for the next one. And that anticipation is a good thing!

penny4URthoughts

Registered Member
I've never had dates, but I can tell you this: First impression is very important. That includes how you dress, how you look, and the first words you say to your date.