Movies Best Director in this day and age?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Babe_Ruth, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

There's a lot of new directors out there that have made a splash this year or previous years.

Who do you guys think is the best director in this day and age?

2. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Though he only does animated films, Brad Bird should get a mention for The Incredibles and Ratatouille.

3. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Christopher Nolan (duh...)

I didn't know he was behind both of those. Definite props for that.

4. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I'm going to go with Quentin Tarantino because he directed and wrote six of my favourite films. I love his style and always know I'll enjoy any film he's done before I've watched it.

5. Italiano

Italiano Film Elitist

Again one of those questions that can be argued on thousands of technicalities.

My favorite is probably at this point and time Scorsese, mainly because of his style and his genre of movies he usually tends to direct.

However that being said (and this is based off of only a few movies of his that I've seen) I'm putting Danny Boyle on this list. I need to see more of his movies, especially his new one "Slumdog Millionare".

6. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I'm going to have to go with my gut and say that George Lucas is the best director, he directed Star Wars, which is without a doubt one of the most famed movie series of all time.

I think that Peter Jackson comes in a close second with The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy.

7. Obsessiforge

Obsessiforge - Diderot Reborn -

how are we defining this day and age? Tarantino is distinctly of a different time period than Nolan, for example, and given that George Lucas hasn't directed anything personally that was actually good since the '80's, he's not exactly recent either. are we talking last 40 years? because that's pretty much 2/3 of the big time filmmaking industry anyways.

8. Italiano

Italiano Film Elitist

Star Wars is the only decent film he's done. Episodes I, II, and III are three reasons that I hate using CGI in movies and directors being backed up by digital animation studios.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  9. padd

padd Registered Member

Marty Scorssese; that being said I'm looking forward to Chris Nolan's upcoming works.

10. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

In my opinion think Clint Eastwood is well worth a mention,his style is always good and he always manages to get his actors/actresses to give good solid performences.