• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Best defensive player today?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know it's hard to give a definite answer because there's so many different defensive positions, but I still believe this can be a good debate.

In your mind who is the best defensive player in today's game and why?

micfranklin

Eviscerator
Ray Lewis
Ed Reed
James Harrison
Troy Polamalu
Jason Taylor
Darren Sharper
Julius Peppers
Brian Dawkins
DeMarcus Ware
Champ Bailey
Nnamdi Asomugha
Jared Allen

To put only one player was just too unfair so I named as many great ones as I could.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's a very good list you got there, you have the two defensive players I like watching the most. That would be DeMarcus Ware and Julius Peppers. I think both of these players are top notch when it comes to playing defense. I think that Peppers needs a new team but that's a different story.

Also I'm glad that you named Polamalu and Harrison even though you can't stand the Steelers. Both are deserving to be on the list of great defensive players.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I love Urlacher, it's a shame that he hasn't been able to stay healthy during the last few seasons, because when healthy he's one of the best line backers in the game.

Patrick Willis came out of college with semi-expectations, he had potential but no one believed he would come out hitting like he did during his first few seasons, he should definitely be in the discussion with the best defensive players in the league.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I know I'm biased to in my opinion, taking everything into account, that is different positions and all, I would have to say DeMarcus Ware is the best defensive player in the game today.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Such a tough call, Franklin' list and the two he added later cover a lot of great defensive players.

If I had to go with one, I might pick Ed Reed - as long as he doesn't try to lateral it. Haha.

Keith Bulluck is underrated, I'd add him to my list.

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
I agree with micfranklins list pretty soundly. As much as I hate the Steelers and Polamalu, that guy is a top-notch defensive player and just having him in the game can change everything (the fact that he was out for both games against the Bengals is one of the key reasons I think they lost)

I'm also going to suggest Shaun Rogers. That guy is just a dominating presence and basically always has to be double teamed, and he still manages to get through alot of the time. It's too bad that he's done for the season now, because he was a real bright spot on the Browns.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I agree Kons, Bullock is underrated, he's always been one of my favorite players. Just because of how hard he plays game in and game out.

Shaun Rogers is a beast. Hell of a player. I would put him somewhere after the first tier of defensive players.

EDIT: I originally said Bullock was "overrated" I meant "underrated", I really like Bullock.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Rogers always gets the job done no matter what team he plays, it's unbelievable the effort and determination he gives every game.

CO, I don't think it's bias at all if you call Ware the best defensive player in the league, the man is a beast and he's only going to get better. We see him play every game so we appreciate it even more the performance he does in every game. The man gets double teammed and still gets to the quarterback with ease "sometimes" it's unbelievable.