• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Best cultural tradition/style in wrestling?

Best wrestling tradition & style?

• Total voters

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
There's a lot of innovation, culture, and variance in style between different regions of the world when it comes to professional wrestling...some are more noteworthy than others, and really stand out to any fan of the business that knows his/her stuff.

Which one of these wrestling cultures, traditions, and styles of grappling is the best in your opinion? Please explain. I think we could have a pretty interesting discussion with this one!

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Good thread!

I voted Japanese . I haven't seen a massive amount of Lucha Libra but whenever I see a match from Japan on YouTube it always amazes me when I see what they can do. It also seems to be a lot less staged than US wrestling.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I love the UK style. Brawlers it seems, but also great technical quality. Barrett, British Bulldog and Wolfe come to mind.

viLky

ykLiv
What would you all consider ECW? Not the new, WWE ECW that was canceled, but the old, Paul Heyman run ECW? I loved that style. It was so chaotic and unique it really impressed. Seeing Sabu, Tommy Dreamer and others use random objects and do risky moves was very entertaining. Isn't that the point..., to be entertaining? =D

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
What would you all consider ECW? Not the new, WWE ECW that was canceled, but the old, Paul Heyman run ECW? I loved that style. It was so chaotic and unique it really impressed. Seeing Sabu, Tommy Dreamer and others use random objects and do risky moves was very entertaining. Isn't that the point..., to be entertaining? =D
Well, the point of the thread is not only analyzing the style in the ring (that's half of it), but the culture surrounding it as well.

I guess that ECW would most fit with "American" as a choice, since it was somewhat unique to the U.S.A.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Well, the point of the thread is not only analyzing the style in the ring (that's half of it), but the culture surrounding it as well.

I guess that ECW would most fit with "American" as a choice, since it was somewhat unique to the U.S.A.
I would guess that as well. Although if extreme wrestling is "American", then I don't think that the rest of the world would have much respect for us. Hahaha.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Quite frankly I have no idea what to pick here...I'm hoping as I start typing out ideas I'll be able to decide...

I suppose the majority of the wrestlers I watch are Americans. There are Canadians, Brits, Japanese, Mexicans and Samoans in there as well but the majority are Americans. So I guess I've got to go that route but you can't ignore the fact there are a ton of great traditions out there.

Maybe if I watched New Japan I'd pick them but I don't. Same with the Mexican federation because I like the lucha libre style and the Japanese style.

For the sake of the poll I'm going with American, I guess.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm going to go with Japanese.

It's tough not to pick American, because I think it's what made pro wrestling really big and pop culture.

However, when putting together wrestling style and culture surrounding it, I really have to go with Japan.

--Culture: The fans are respectful, the performers have a ton of heart and tradition. I also have a lot of respect for the way that Japan incorporates performers from other countries into their main products. Yes, we have wrestlers from other countries in American companies, but often it feels like they don't get as much prominence as performers from other places get in Japan.

--Style: A lot of my favorite moves in American Wrestling (like Go To Sleep) came from Japan. I really respect how they have a rough style, good submissions, high flyers, masked wrestlers, great technical performers, etc. It's almost like Japan takes the best of a lot of cultures and brings it all together.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I'm gonna go with Japanese. Mainly because half the stuff you see in American and Canadian wrestling is inspired by Japan. Not only that, they have some of the best high flyers you'll ever see. It's like all cultures rolled up into one.