Best Closer in the game?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Who do you guys believe is the best closer in the game today?

This is very hard, because there's so many to choose from, but from the top of my head I have to go with Joe Nathan, I think he's been really steady for the last few years, and you can always rely on him when you need to close out the game.

But there's so many other closers I could of went with, and I might change my mind in a few months, but as of right now, he's the man.

2. Unstoppable

Unstoppable Registered Member

A lot of people buy into the KROD crap because of the save numbers but Nathan is much better than him, although the best closer in baseball last year was Brad Lidge, I like Mariano Rivera, Papelbon, Putz used to be one of the best but its amazing how far he fell last year, Valverde is a great closer as well, but it all comes back to Joe Nathan, and I believe that at this moment he is the best closer in baseball, but Papelbon and Rivera are very very very close in a tie for second IMO

3. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

This is a very tough call, in fact it has been for just about ten years now. I'll put it this way, I'd want one of the following closing out my ballgame for me in a save situation:

Rivera
    Nathan
    F. Rodriguez
    Papelbon
    and a healthy Ryan

In addition I think we're going to be able to make a case for Soria very soon if we can't already.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I dont know what to expect from Riviera to be honest with you guys, he's getting older, and he's pretty much at the tail end of his career, but I can discount what he's done in the past, so I still consider him one of the best closers in the game today.

Speaking of Riviera, you mentioned Soria Ryuk, I agree with you the kid as some nasty stuff and he reminds me a bit of Mariano, hopefully he can maintain his high level of pitching in his closer role.