• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Best Baseball Fields

Dabs

Registered Member
To those that have been to a few, or several, baseball games..do you have a favorite field you visited??
I have been to see the Saint Louis Cardinals, in what used to be the Busch Stadium, I have seen the Atlanta Braves play at their old field in Atlanta, the Fulton County Stadium and I saw the Chicago Cubs play at Wrigley Field.
No contest...Wrigley Field was great.
But then, I haven't seen any of the others, just those three.
Any other baseball fields that are fairly impressive??

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
I've only ever been on two baseball trips and sadly, I have yet to venture to a true baseball park.

I saw the Yankees take on the Twins in the early part of the decade at the Metrodome and while the Metrodome is quite a small facility as far as the exterior underneath the seats, the atmosphere was fantastic. The dome was sold out for both games and it was my first game, so I might be overrating my experience but it was fantastic.

The only other place I have gone was the SkyDome and I was quite dissapointed. Walking around the stadium you didn't feel like you were at a baseball stadium, rather more of a mega convention centre. Still, it was major league baseball and I was able to watch my Jays beat the Red Sox, so everything was good.

Bosox04

Registered Member
I've been fortunate to visit many stadiums. The stadiums themselves can be impressive, however they can truly be overshadowed by how intense the crowd is.

I grew up in the Dallas area, so we've been a bit spoiled by having a beautiful Ballpark (Rangers Ballpark in Arlington). Great atmosphere this season...however my favorite days at the ballpark were when they were losing and my sox were in town. Sox fans turned that place upside down. Sames goes, I'll admit, for Yankees, and when a big NL team would come into town.

Fenway Park- Truly a great venue. Okay...so a bit of history real quick. I grew up in Texas (as mentioned above). Dallas is a football town...but I'm a baseball guy. When I visited Boston, it was a complete culture shock that I fell in love with. The Patriots just won the Super Bowl, and all the people could talk about were the Sox...pubs packed for Sox/Yankees spring training games. I fell in love with it...and the stadium went with it. Now, I've visited both Fenway and Yankee stadium in the same year (old yankee stadium). Fenway is so well kept, and yankee stadium was not. The atmospheres were similar, however the stadium experiences were miles apart. Fenway by far.

Busch Stadium (New)- I was fortunate enough to visit the new Busch Stadium when it opened in 2006. A very nice facility, and great baseball town. They did a great job of mixing some of the old stadium, as well as using the downtown St. Louis atmosphere to compliment it. I'm a huge fan of downtown stadiums/arenas. Busch Stadium is the perfect reason as to why.

Coors Field- Staying on the beer themed stadiums (sorry, I haven't been to Miller in Milwaukee), another downtown stadium in a beautiful downtown. Lodow in Denver is rustic and gorgeous. Bars line the outside of the stadium. As far as the stadium itself, it's a very compact stadium...but very tall. Another great thing about Coors Field is that the concourse is very broad and open. One issue with Fenway and old yankee stadium is that there really is no concourse room.

Minute Maid Park- Now, I went to this stadium when it was Enron Field. It's definably an interesting stadium. Like Coors, the concourses are very open. The seats in the lower level are fine, but if you go higher up, you start to get vertigo. Your head will be at the person behind you's foot. So it's quite a trek, and slightly cramped. However, it is an overall nice stadium.

Other stadiums visited: Oriole's Park at Camden Yards, Arlington Stadium (RIP), Houston Astrodome, (Old) yankee Stadium (RIP), Milwaukee County (RIP).

Dabs

Registered Member
I've been fortunate to visit many stadiums. The stadiums themselves can be impressive, however they can truly be overshadowed by how intense the crowd is.

Busch Stadium (New)- I was fortunate enough to visit the new Busch Stadium when it opened in 2006. A very nice facility, and great baseball town. They did a great job of mixing some of the old stadium, as well as using the downtown St. Louis atmosphere to compliment it. I'm a huge fan of downtown stadiums/arenas. Busch Stadium is the perfect reason as to why.

Other stadiums visited: Oriole's Park at Camden Yards, Arlington Stadium (RIP), Houston Astrodome, (Old) yankee Stadium (RIP), Milwaukee County (RIP).

Wow Bosox, you have been fortunate, you have been to quite a few baseball fields. When I went to the old Busch stadium, it was not great at all. The seats we had terrified me, I kept thinking if my boys leaned over, I would lose them, the seat situation just wasn't pleasant or comfortable. And I haven't seen the new stadium.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have been to quite a few...list below with comments...

Old Busch Stadium, St Louis, Missouri: Grew up going to games here...has a soft spot in my heart since it was all I knew for such a long time.

Current Busch Stadium, St Louis, Missouri: Really like our new stadium; it's much better then the old one. I like it because it's a fair park for pitchers and hitters and it's got an old school feel as well.

Wrigley Field, Chicago, Illinois: I do like Wrigley because it's an iconic structure but let's face it, it's a dump haha. Peeing in a horse troth isn't exactly that exciting. But no, I do like it. I remember being there hammered and just looking around and thinking, wow, this thing was built in 1914 and it's still going strong.

PNC Ballpark, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: I think this one might have been my favorite out of all the ones I've been too. The backdrop of downtown Pittsburgh was awesome. The stadium was so nice. Everything about it was top notch. Too bad their team sucks.

Great American Ballpark, Cincinnati, Ohio: Went there just last year and have been there twice. I like it, it's pretty nice. The history of the Reds franchise interests me even though I don't like their team. Lots of history in that city with baseball.

Miller Park, Milwaukee, Wisconsin: This one is cool because the stadium looks like a spaceship from the outside. We tail gated on the outside of the stadium too which is cool because there is so much to do outside the stadium. The only problem I have with it is that they serve Miller beer and I hate Miller haha.

Kauffman Stadium, Kansas City, Missouri: Been there before the renovations and during the renovations. They have done a lot to make the stadium nicer. Their parking lot is awesome though because it's all around the stadium like Miller was. The park is nothing special though but it wasn't bad either.

Turner Field, Atlanta, Georgia: It took so long to get to the park. The path to the stadium is terrible and took about a half hour after the games to get back to hotel. That sucked but the stadium itself is nice. There's nothing much to it that makes it stand out necessarily but it's not bad.

Chase Field, Phoenix, Arizona: I went here with my family a long time ago when it was Bank one Ballpark. We saw the D'Backs vs the A's. It was one of the first parks I went too outside of St Louis so I have found memories of it because of that.

Dabs

Registered Member
I have been to quite a few...list below with comments...

Turner Field, Atlanta, Georgia: It took so long to get to the park. The path to the stadium is terrible and took about a half hour after the games to get back to hotel. That sucked but the stadium itself is nice. There's nothing much to it that makes it stand out necessarily but it's not bad.

Chase Field, Phoenix, Arizona: I went here with my family a long time ago when it was Bank one Ballpark. We saw the D'Backs vs the A's. It was one of the first parks I went too outside of St Louis so I have found memories of it because of that.
We had the same problem when Atlanta's team played at Fulton County Stadium. It was a headache trying to find the stadium and even worse when we were leaving. They had road constructions, which gave us detours, and we ended up in a not-so-nice-looking neighborhood. We just kept our doors and windows locked and hoped like hell we'd find the right way out :lol:

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
We had the same problem when Atlanta's team played at Fulton County Stadium. It was a headache trying to find the stadium and even worse when we were leaving. They had road constructions, which gave us detours, and we ended up in a not-so-nice-looking neighborhood. We just kept our doors and windows locked and hoped like hell we'd find the right way out :lol:
That is exactly the same for us haha...

We went to two games and the first night was better. Fulton County Stadium, right now, is just a huge parking lot. Well, we were doing some site seeing before the game that evening and had parked there. They didn't kick us out when the game started so we parked there for free haha. It's kinda cool because they still have the outfield walls up and in the pavement where home plate and the mound were.

Anywho, the 2nd night sucked. We were parked in a not-so-nice-looking neighborhood exactly as you described. And yes, the construction was so annoying.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Unfortunately, I've only been to Rogers Center in Toronto. I might be going to Citizens Bank Ballpark this summer to watch a Philadelphia game. I heard that the stadium was really nice.

Rogers Center is nothing special when you've been there a few times. It's a nice stadium, especially from the outside, but other then that its pretty ordinary.

Bosox04

Registered Member
I know what you mean when dealing with traffic. When Rangers Ballpark in Arlington was being built, Arlington stadium traffic was horrendous. And then when they built Cowboys Stadium....let's just say, it was another nightmare...and good luck if the Cowboys and Rangers are playing on the same day.

Anyone else have issues with stadiums/arenas that share parking lots?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Anyone else have issues with stadiums/arenas that share parking lots?
Parking and traffic are a nightmare in Baltimore when there are Ravens and Orioles games at the same time. M & T Bank Stadium was built on the parking lot for Oriole Park at Camden Yards so the parking for both stadiums is quite limited.