Best back up Point Guard

Discussion in 'NBA' started by Babe_Ruth, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I was wondering who you guys think is the best back up point guard in the NBA and why? I personally think it's Barbosa of the Suns, I believe he could be a starter with a lot of teams in league, and if Nash misses a couple of games, they shouldn't be worried because of Barbosa. The second best I believe it's Jose Calderon, a lot of people don't know much of him because he plays for the Raptors, but he has done a wonderful job coming off the bench, and he's a good started when Ford ain't able to go. His shot has improved from last season, and he's a very good passer, and he has a lot of heart.

2. Fresh

Fresh Aw, Here It Goes!

Devin Harris is a another notable but I think he may be at SG right now im not sure, but last year at back up he was great. Others like Gary Payton and Luther Head also do well off the bench.

3. patkick

patkick #21

Both of them play a lot of minutes at the SG spot. I think it's Jose Calderon who's the best backup pointguard. Barbosa is still more of a comboguard.

4. Babe_Ruth

I agree. Leandro Barbosa and Devin Harris are considered back up Point Guards, but like Patrick mentioned there mostly a shooting guard then a point guard. Plus I still consider Jose Calderon better then Devin Harris and with more minutes he'd be better then Leandro.

5. revgen

revgen Guest

As far as actual true PG's are concerned, the only ones that come to my mind are Gary Payton, Jordan Farmar, Marcus Williams, and Shawn Livingston. There aren't a lot of true PG's in this league and hence very few come off the bench unless they are too young or they are too old.

I haven't seen a whole lot of Williams, since he plays with New Jersey. Payton isn't what he was in his prime, but he still has experience. Farmar has actually done quite well in limited minutes although he's very inconsistent. Livingston has good nights and bad nights as well.

Out of all of them, I'd still go with Payton because of his experience.

6. Babe_Ruth

I guess you haven't seen a lot of Calderon because he's a true point guard, he rather pass the ball then shoot it, and that's what I consider a real point guard. Also I think that Payton is pretty much done, he's good on the defensive side but he's not good offensively anymore. But I would agree with you on Farmar and Williams they're decent back ups, but wouldn't consider them best back up PG in the league.

7. revgen

revgen Guest

Yep, I haven't seen too much of him. He's Euro player right? If so, he's probably got more experience than either Farmar and Williams.

8. Babe_Ruth

Yes he's from Spain. And because of that he does have more high level experience then Marcus Williams and Jordan Farmar, but I won't consider NCAA Basketball a walk in the park it gets pretty competetive. But I guarantee you by the end of the season you'll know Jose Calderon's name because he's turning a lot of people heads with is play as of late.

9. mlh1981

mlh1981 Guest

re:

for years, I thought Bobby Jackson was the best backup PG in the NBA

10. Babe_Ruth

Bobby Jackson was definitly considered one of the best back up Point Guard in the league when he was playing with the Sacramento Kings. He even one the Sixth Man Award one year in Sacramento. But since is departure from the Kings he hasn't been the same player, because of all the injuries he suffered. But he's still a good back up and a tremendous competetor