Best Athletes

Juan_Pablo

Registered Member
Who do you think represents athleticism at the highest level in the entire sports universe? If you had yo choose 1 elite athlete who has proven himself better than the rest not only at his respective sport but has raised a bar so high where other sportsmen can't even be so great in their own respective sport.

Michael Jordan. alongside his superpower skill he was also a fair player and had charisma to launch the NBA's popularity all over the world.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Michael Jordan is definitely a good choice, but I rather good with someone like Jackie Robinson, Bo Jackson and Jim Thorpe. These were athletes in all different sports and they excelled at everyone of them. I almost put Deon Sanders on there, but I decided to take him off last minute.

There's a lot of athletes you can choose, but I believe the ones that I've selected belong on top of the list.

Juan_Pablo

Registered Member
I noticed some players in your post, then I looked up some others. Well I looked up Jim Thorpe, I have to admit I didn't know who he was. I have to say just because most of those athletes were versatile and played in more than one sport, and were all stars, it doesn't make them the best at what they do.

I was also thinking about Lance Armstrong's 7 straight tour de France. One of the hardest achievements ever in sports although he did not have the same charisma Jordan had in popularizing the sport and spreading his name. Also Jordan was part of 2 championship teams in one season! Team USA and Chicago '92. That's not something many people can do.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I'm going to agree with BR and say if I had to choose just one athlete I would have to choose Jim Thorpe. To me he was the best all round athlete ever. Although I also like the suggestions of Jackie Robinson and Bo Jackson.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
In terms of popularizing their sports, you'd have to mention Tiger Woods and Tony Hawk. If it has to represent pure athleticism though, then definitely Michael Jordan.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
No disrespect to Lance Armstrong, what he did on a bicycle is simply amazing, but he couldn't hold Thorpe's jockstrap. I don't think you actually realise how much of an athlete Jim Thorpe was, no one is better in my book. You should do more than just a little reading on the man. There's a lot to learn on his achievements and how great he was. I suggest you to watch Jim Thorpe- All American, great movie that was made in 51.

Robinson plaed Quarterback and Safety at college, he was a track star, and another remarkable thing is that he's the person that played the most sports at UCLA, now if it wasn't a great school like UCLA I wouldn't make a huge fuss out of it, but that's pretty darn impressive.

I'm also ranking Bo Jackson pretty high since he dominated baseball and football, and he had to call it a career early since he had injury problems that prevented him to play.

Like Bo Jackson would say, BO Jackson knows :D

Juan_Pablo

Registered Member
You're right Echoes, I do consider Tiger Woods as well. His talent at the sport of golf is bar none. It's to bad the past 2 years have been so rough on him.

No disrespect to Lance Armstrong, what he did on a bicycle is simply amazing, but he couldn't hold Thorpe's jockstrap. I don't think you actually realise how much of an athlete Jim Thorpe
I don't think you realize how much of an achievment 7 (stright) Tour de Frances really is. I will do some more reading on Thorpe afterwards, so far I just have to say winning 7 Tours is 21 days of power and uphill pedaling, downhill pedalling, there's just alot of pedalling involved, and so much power exhausted from the human body. Alot of people get tired after pedalling for 10 minutes! We can argue that it takes more strength than talent to win a Tour. For Lance to win 7 of them just proves how powerful he really is. I bet you even the strongest running backs wouldn't even last a day in the Tour de France. Which is why I say his achievement is better than an MLB or NFL all star, or an NHLer with 50 goals in a season.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
You're right Echoes, I do consider Tiger Woods as well. His talent at the sport of golf is bar none. It's to bad the past 2 years have been so rough on him.

I don't think you realize how much of an achievment 7 (stright) Tour de Frances really is. I will do some more reading on Thorpe afterwards, so far I just have to say winning 7 Tours is 21 days of power and uphill pedaling, downhill pedalling, there's just alot of pedalling involved, and so much power exhausted from the human body. Alot of people get tired after pedalling for 10 minutes! We can argue that it takes more strength than talent to win a Tour. For Lance to win 7 of them just proves how powerful he really is. I bet you even the strongest running backs wouldn't even last a day in the Tour de France. Which is why I say his achievement is better than an MLB or NFL all star, or an NHLer with 50 goals in a season.
I never said that Armstrong wasn't a great athlete, all I said is that when you compare the achievements of Jim Thorpe and Lance Armstrong, I believe that Thorpe is superior.

Thorpe was a track star, he won gold medals in two extremely hard events, them being pentathlon and decathlon. He was also a star in the NFL, dominated the sport actually. He played baseball professionally, even though his numbers don't show it, he was still a talented baseball player. He played college basketball, he played Lacrosse. He once jumped near six feet in the high jump. He dominated every sport he played. When he played Baseball/Basketball or Football, he played multiple positions which isn't really easy to do.

Lance Armstrong dominated the Tour de France(don't actually know if he did it clean or not, but we'll say he did) just excelled at one sport. This guy excelled at more than five. I know it was different back then, but just think of the training/shoes/excercise he had back in the early 1900's, compared to what Armstrong had.

Sorry, but to me it's not even close.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Lance Armstrong dominated the Tour de France(don't actually know if he did it clean or not, but we'll say he did) just excelled at one sport.
Lance was actually a triathlete before he became a professional road cyclist. He's also won some mountain bike races.

Juan_Pablo

Registered Member
I never said that Armstrong wasn't a great athlete, all I said is that when you compare the achievements of Jim Thorpe and Lance Armstrong, I believe that Thorpe is superior.
I'm just saying Lance is one of the greatest athletes of all time.

Lance Armstrong dominated the Tour de France(don't actually know if he did it clean or not, but we'll say he did) just excelled at one sport. This guy excelled at more than five. I know it was different back then, but just think of the training/shoes/excercise he had back in the early 1900's, compared to what Armstrong had.
In the early 1900's the competition wasn't even fair. First of all Blacks were not even allowed to play in various North American sports leagues, let alone the discrimination Hispanics received. Which leads me to the idea that the overall competitiveness of the sports' leagues in Thorpe's days was much less than it is today. Where as Michael Jordan played in an era where arguably the greatest players of all time were playing in the same league at the same time! Same for Lance in fact Lance has been tested throughout his career and never came out dirty, not only has he won his 7 achievements fairly, he has beaten racers who have been proven cheaters (performance enhancing drug users).

I don't even know this as a fact, but I gurantee you if you look up his record from the 1912 Olympics, it's probably been broken at least 6 times. That's just my wild guess.