• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Best and the Worst Superbowl QB's

Doc_Fearless

Registered Member
Below is a list of every NFL QB to ever start in a Superbowl. Simple question, in your opinion give your top 10 best QB's and top 10 worst QB's to start in a Superbowl and why you think they were the best or worst. Keep in mind this is not based on their Superbowl game it's self but an overall value of the QB's career to his team(s).

I
1/15/67
BART STARR, Green Bay Packers
LEN DAWSON, Kansas City Chiefs

II
1/14/68
BART STARR, Green Bay Packers
Daryle Lamonica, Oakland Raiders

III
1/12/69
JOE NAMATH, New York Jets
Earl Morrall, Baltimore Colts

IV
1/11/70
LEN DAWSON, Kansas City Chiefs
Joe Kapp, Minnesota Vikings

V
1/17/71
JOHNNY UNITAS, Baltimore Colts
Craig Morton, Dallas Cowboys

VI
1/16/72
ROGER STAUBACH, Dallas Cowboys
BOB GRIESE, Miami Dolphins

VII
1/14/73
Bill Kilmer, Washington Redskins

VIII
1/13/74
FRAN TARKENTON, Minnesota Vikings

IX
1/12/75
TERRY BRADSHAW, Pittsburgh Steelers

X
1/18/76

XI
1/9/77
Ken Stabler, Oakland Raiders

XII
1/15/78
Craig Morton, Denver Bronco

XIII
1/21/79

XIV
1/20/80
Vince Ferragamo, Los Angeles Rams

XV
1/25/81
Jim Plunkett, Oakland Raiders
Ron Jaworski, Philadelphia Eagles

XVI
1/24/82
JOE MONTANA, San Francisco 49ers
Ken Anderson, Cincinnati Bengals

XVII
1/30/83
Joe Theismann, Washington Redskins
David Woodley, Miami Dolphins

XVIII
1/22/84
Jim Plunkett, Los Angeles Raiders
Joe Theismann, Washington Redskins

XIX
1/20/85
DAN MARINO, Miami Dolphins

XX
1/26/86
Jim McMahon, Chicago Bears
Tony Eason, New England Patriots

XXI
1/25/87
Phil Simms, New York Giants
JOHN ELWAY, Denver Broncos

XXII
1/31/88
Doug Williams, Washington Redskins

XXIII
1/22/89
Boomer Esiason, Cincinnati Bengals

XXIV
1/28/90

XXV
1/27/91
Jeff Hostetler, New York Giants
JIM KELLY, Buffalo Bills

XXVI
1/26/92
Mark Rypien, Washington Redskins
JIM KELLY, Buffalo Bills Miami

XXVII
1/31/93
TROY AIKMAN, Dallas Cowboys
JIM KELLY, Buffalo Bills

XXVIII
1/30/94
JIM KELLY, Buffalo Bills

XXIX
1/29/95
STEVE YOUNG, San Francisco 49ers
Stan Humphries, San Diego Chargers

XXX
1/28/96
Neil O'Donnell, Pittsburgh Steelers

XXXI
1/26/97
Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers
Drew Bledsoe, New England Patriots

XXXII
1/25/98
Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers

XXXIII
1/31/99
Chris Chandler, Atlanta Falcons

XXXIV
1/30/00
Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams
Steve McNair, Tennessee Titans

XXXV
1/28/01
Trent Dilfer, Baltimore Ravens
Kerry Collins, New York Giants

XXXVI
2/3/02
Tom Brady, New England Patriots
Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams

XXXVII
1/26/03
Brad Johnson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Rich Gannon, Oakland Raiders

XXXVIII
2/1/04
Jake Delhomme, Carolina Panthers

XXXIX
2/6/05
Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia Eagles

XL
2/5/06
Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers
Matt Hasselbeck, Seattle Seahawks

XLI
2/4/07
Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts
Rex Grossman, Chicago Bears

XLII
2/3/08
Eli Manning, New York Giants

XLIII
2/1/09
Kurt Warner, Arizona Cardinals

XLIV
2/7/10
Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints
Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts

XLV
2/6/11
Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers

XLVI
2/5/12
Eli Manning, New York Giants

XLVII
2/3/13
Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens
Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers

XLVIII
2/2/14
Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks
Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos

XLIX
Russel Wilson, Seatle Seahawks

Last edited:

Konshentz

Konshentz
I'm just going to go off the Super Bowls that I actually watched.

I'll do the 10 worst first...

Trent Dilfer
Kerry Collins
Jake Delhomme
Stan Humphries
Brad Johnson
Chris Chandler
Neil O'Donnell
Matt Hasselbeck
Colin Kaepernick
Joe Flacco

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
It would be impossible for me to include most of the guys from before about 1988, because other than Elway and Montana I never saw any of them play.

Your bottom 10 looks good, except I have no idea how you have Joe Flacco on there and not Rex Grossman. Grossman might be the worst QB to ever play in a Super Bowl.

And I don't think Flacco is bad at all. He's actually one of the most valuable QB's in the NFL right now, in my opinion. I can't think of too many QB's I'd rather have in a big game except maybe Tom Brady, but even he's lost his last two Super Bowls.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Best:

1. Joe Montana-4 Super Bowl wins. 11 TD's, 0 INT's. Triple digit passer rating in all 4 games. Best damn post season QB ever.

2. Bart Starr. Super Bowl MVP of I and II. Super Bowl passer rating of 106. The dude was clutch, and didn't turn the ball over.

3. Tom Brady. Currently 3-2 in Super Bowls. In 3 of his Super Bowls, he didn't throw an INT.

4. Terry Bradshaw. 4-0 in the Super Bowl, he had triple digit passer rating in all of them.

5. Roger Staubach. He had to face the Steel Curtain defense twice, and posting triple digit QB rating in one of them. He earned MVP honors in Super Bowl XI against the Broncos.

6. Kurt Warner. He led the Rams to a title in Super Bowl XXXIII with a 73 yard winning TD to Isaac Bruce and later led the Cardinals to their first Super Bowl and was great in it. He holds the three highest single game yardage records.

7. Troy Aikman. In his first SB win, he threw for 273 yards and 4 TD's earning MVP honors. He led the Cowboys to 3 Super Bowl wins and no losses.

8. Phil Simms. The Super Bowl XXI MVP went 22-25 for 268 yards, 3 TD's and 0 INT's. One of the best games played.

9. Joe Flacco. The guy is a stud and his playoff stats prove it. A couple of seasons ago, on his way to winning Super Bowl MVP he went 73 of 126 for 1,140 yards, with 11 TD's and 0 INT's, and beat Brady, Manning and Luck.

10.. John Elway. He may have had some bad Super Bowls early, but he made up for it late in his career.

Doc_Fearless

Registered Member
My Best QB's, and remember it's not based on a SB appearance, just QB's who have started in a SB.

1. Joe Montana - Nobody could thread a needle like this guy, best finesse QB I dare say ever played the game and always kept his team in the running.

2. Payton Manning - A true master of the game able to shred otherwise good defenses. Has had the ability to take an average team and make them a contender year after year.

3. Tom Brady - really hate this one because I really dislike him, but bottom line is he wins. He is smart with the ball and makes very few mistakes. Good finesse passer with the ability to go deep.

4. Bart Starr - The man is a legend who made everyone around him play better than they were. Just amazing ball control and accuracy passing.

5. Terry Bradshaw - Tough, smart and put up some truly great numbers throughout his career.

6. Kurt Warner - Went from bagging groceries to NFL MVP. Just a great pure passer who would have made any team better.

7. Rodger Staubach - Clutch QB with no fear of any defense, including numerous face offs vs the dreaded "Steel Curtain".

8. Brett Farve - How can you not like this guy? Tough, strong and the will to do whatever it took to win a game.

9. Steve Young - I think one of the most solid all around QB's ever. If he couldn't beat you in the air he wasn't afraid to use his legs to beat you. He was a winner and did whatever it took to do it.

10. Ben Roethlisberger - and I'm a Ravens fan, so you know this hurts. But the simple truth is he is maybe the toughest physical QB's ever who is one of the toughest to bring down. His ability to keep plays alive makes him dangerous and I would venture to say the Steelers without him wouldn't have made a single post season game in Ben's era.

Last edited:

Konshentz

Konshentz
It would be impossible for me to include most of the guys from before about 1988, because other than Elway and Montana I never saw any of them play.

Your bottom 10 looks good, except I have no idea how you have Joe Flacco on there and not Rex Grossman. Grossman might be the worst QB to ever play in a Super Bowl.

And I don't think Flacco is bad at all. He's actually one of the most valuable QB's in the NFL right now, in my opinion. I can't think of too many QB's I'd rather have in a big game except maybe Tom Brady, but even he's lost his last two Super Bowls.
I actually forget he even played in a Super Bowl. Haha. I must've missed him while quickly scanning the names. Yeah, swap him

Flacco cracks my top 10, but that's about it. And he proved this year that he's not as invincible in the playoffs as he thinks.

I'll do my top 10 tomorrow.

Doc_Fearless

Registered Member
I actually forget he even played in a Super Bowl. Haha. I must've missed him while quickly scanning the names. Yeah, swap him

Flacco cracks my top 10, but that's about it. And he proved this year that he's not as invincible in the playoffs as he thinks.

I'll do my top 10 tomorrow.
Flacco didn't quite make my all time top 10 and this from a Ravens fan. I honestly don't think Flacco "thinks" he is invincible in the playoffs, I think he is just very consistent and has excellent ball control skills that allot of QB's don't. He is far from flashy and IMO is a bit over paid, but of current QB's in the NFL I'd pick him as a top 5 QB for his consistency to be smart with the ball.

I would say if he can continue to be Mr. consistent and post respectable numbers for a few years to come he might crack my top 10 all time list.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Funny this thread is posted...I just did a sporcle quiz that goes along the same lines...

Winning and Losing Super Bowl Quarterbacks - Sporcle Games & Trivia

I got 25/48. I got every single combination from 1989 to the present but nothing prior to that. Obviously seeing this thread now it would be cheating to do it haha.

This is tough...do you pick off their total body of work and just go off that or are we going off how they actually did in their respective Super Bowls? Its almost impossible to do this. Jim Kelly got to FOUR Super Bowls so how can he not make the list? I guess since he lost all 4 but how can you ignore how hard it is to get there? My order is going to be players I SAW only...sorry to Bart Starr and Terry Bradshaw.

My top 10...(no particular order)

Joe Montana
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Steve Young
Troy Aikman
John Elway
Brett Favre
Kurt Warner
Ben Roethlisberger
Dan Marino

I didn't see Staubach or Theisman or Tarkenton or Stabler or Unitas or Starr or Bradshaw play so how can I put them on the list? People are probably wondering why Marino is on there...he never won. But he's also one of the best QB's of all time and that's how I go off this.

Bad list later

Doc_Fearless

Registered Member
Now for the worst.

Hands down THE worst QB to ever start in a Superbowl has to be: (wait for it.....)

1. Joe Kapp - his stats speak for themselves. a whooping 55.2 career QBR; 40 TD tosses vs 64 INT's in the 3 seasons of his NFL career. And after his loss in SB IV he couldn't sign with ANY NFL team and moved to Canada... need I say more?

2. David Woodley - Although the youngest QB to ever start in a Superbowl he didn't do it alone. Woodley was more of a "tandem" QB system in Miami presented by Don Shula to compensate the fact neither Woodley nor Don Strock were very good. Woodley got the nod as starter for SB XVII but after a loss to the Skins he lost his job to then rookie Dan Marino the nest season. Woodley spent the remainder of his 6 year career as a backup in Pittsburgh.

3. Rex Grossman - He rode the Bears great defense to Superbowl VLI and played 2 good games in the playoffs that got them there. Other than that, Rex has proven to be one of the most sub-par QB's in the NFL.

4. Doug Williams - Although he played well in the playoffs and lead the Skins to a trouncing victory over Denver in SB XXII, his career otherwise was a joke with nothing else good that can be said for it.

5. Kerry Collins - Just a sub-par QB who moved from team to team until he got lucky to be on the Giants roster when they made it to SB XXXV, losing horribly to the Ravens 34-7.

6. Trent Dilfer - Interestingly enough Trent faced my number 5 worst QB Kerry Collins in SB XXXV and won 34-7. But it was the Ravens defense that became legendary that got them there and won the game more so than Dilfer. Nothing else in Dilfers career is worth mentioning.

7. Tony Eason - This kid had promise. He lead the Pats to SB XX with 3 straight road wins in the playoffs only to become the only starting QB in SB history to amass an 0-6 attempts; 0 yards and sacked 7 times before being benched late in the first half. He lead the Pats back to the playoffs the following season, but won only 4 games in his final 4 seasons after that.

8. Neil O'Donnell - Bill Cowhers Defense got the Steelers to SB XXX on the shaky performances of O'Donnell's season. O'Donnell played poorly costing the Steelers the game with 2 costly INT's. The Steelers however made an offer to keep O'Donnell the following season which he turned down as he felt he and coach Cowher did not get along. He signed with the Jets and went 0-6 with them before being benched. He never made back to "starter" status again.

9. Earl Morrall - Serving as Johnny Untas' backup landed him his start where in SB III he threw 3 picks - 0 TD's and was replaced by the injured Johnny U late in the 3rd quarter who got the Colts their only score losing to the underdog Jets. His career was spent as a backup who happened to be in the right place at the right time to land him a SB start.

10. Vince Ferragamo - Taking over late in the season for injured Rams QB Pat Hadden, Ferragamo lead the Rams to SB XIV where Ferragamo and the Rams kept the heavily favored Steelers at bay for 3 quarters until ultimately being beaten 31-19 with a 4th quarter rally of the Steelers. Ferragamo was sub-par at best and spent the majority of his career as a backup, although he did make it to the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
My Best QB's, and remember it's not based on a SB appearance, just QB's who have started in a SB.

1. Joe Montana - Nobody could thread a needle like this guy, best finesse QB I dare say ever played the game and always kept his team in the running.

2. Payton Manning - A true master of the game able to shred otherwise good defenses. Has had the ability to take an average team and make them a contender year after year.

3. Tom Brady - really hate this one because I really dislike him, but bottom line is he wins. He is smart with the ball and makes very few mistakes. Good finesse passer with the ability to go deep.

4. Bart Starr - The man is a legend who made everyone around him play better than they were. Just amazing ball control and accuracy passing.

5. Terry Bradshaw - Tough, smart and put up some truly great numbers throughout his career.

6. Kurt Warner - Went from bagging groceries to NFL MVP. Just a great pure passer who would have made any team better.

7. Rodger Staubach - Clutch QB with no fear of any defense, including numerous face offs vs the dreaded "Steel Curtain".

8. Brett Farve - How can you not like this guy? Tough, strong and the will to do whatever it took to win a game.

9. Steve Young - I think one of the most solid all around QB's ever. If he couldn't beat you in the air he wasn't afraid to use his legs to beat you. He was a winner and did whatever it took to do it.

10. Ben Roethlisberger - and I'm a Ravens fan, so you know this hurts. But the simple truth is he is maybe the toughest physical QB's ever who is one of the toughest to bring down. His ability to keep plays alive makes him dangerous and I would venture to say the Steelers without him wouldn't have made a single post season game in Ben's era.
Oh, ok. I thought you were looking at top QB Super Bowl performances. This this makes more sense then, because I wouldn't put Manning or Favre or Big Ben anywhere near this list. None of them have been consistent in the playoffs throughout their careers, especially Favre, who to me is the most overrated QB ever.