Bernie Madoff officially sentenced

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Hiei, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I'm still trying to find a link, but I'm watching the news. He's getting the full 150 years.

Bernard Madoff gets maximum 150 years in prison - Yahoo! News

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

That's crazy, I honestly thought they wouldn't listen to all the details and the accusations and only get 20-25 years, which would be considered a life sentence for him since he's already pretty old.

3. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I'm glad they are giving him the full sentence. With a scheme that completely bankrupt that many people, this guy deserves to rot in jail until his 150 years are up. They should keep him alive just so that he can get the full effect.
    ------
    Actually, his defense was trying to say that a life sentence for him would be 13 years because of his age, that's why they were trying to get 12. Which is almost offensive to even try for, especially with the people he ripped off right in the court with him.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

He had to figure "What do I have to lose" when he pushed for less time.

Honestly though, the guy caused people to commit suicide after he ruined them financially. He was/is a snake and doesn't deserve pitty for this.

5. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

good.
    i hope he lives that longs so that he can suffer for other 150 years.

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Why don't they just say "life sentence" without specifying number of years? Shouldn't it simply mean literally...until you die? :shifteyes:

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

It's a technicality. I guess they can't say "life" for an old person and also for a young person because the young person will complain that they got a worse sentence. Instead they just do it by years so there is no room for loopholes. (Assuming he doesn't live 150 more years)

8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Hmm, ok. But then, does that mean that someone young who gets the death penalty got a worse sentence than someone older who got the same penalty? :D

If he does live for 150 more years....then he probably deserves to be let out of jail after that.