Bengals sign S Roy Williams

Mike Zimmer plans to pick up Roy Williams at the airport Thursday morning and it's just as well because the reason the five-time Pro Bowl safety plans to sign with the Bengals is because of the defensive scheme flying in Cincinnati these days and because Zimmer is the pilot.

...Agent Jordan Woy confirmed a short-term deal with the Bengals that includes incentives, which could indicate the Bengals gave Williams a one-year deal and a manageable bonus if it doesn't work and a enticing enough escalators for him if it does work.
Source: Roy in Bengaldom

I'm really impressed with what Mike Zimmer is doing with the Bengals defense. Considering that they managed to finish with the 12th ranked defense last season with a defense that wasn't much different from the previous year, he has really started to turn the defense around. They have made some serious moves this off season, and I'm cautiously optimistic about this coming season.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Roy Williams is a hot head but I'm not sure if he's been in legal trouble or not.

He doesn't seem to fit the culture the Bengals are going for, lol.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
As a Cowboys fan I really liked Mike Zimmer, he's a very good coach and I can see why Bengals fans would like him. It's disappointing that Roy never became the player we thought he would be but I wish him luck. Hopefully a change of scenery will help him.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I am a fan of the Cowboys as well, I was never a big fan of Williams. He was a good safety but not a great one. A lot of times he commited to many stupid penalties.

But with that being said he's definitely going to help the Bengals defense.

They will win at least 5 games this year now that C. Palmer is healed, as opposed to their abysmal 2008 season.

Matriqulated

Future is Fused 3036A.D.
He plays run better than many linebackers which is needed in that division. Problem is he is a LIABILITY in pass coverage, but if it is an upgrade over what they had why not.

Last edited:
The Bengals secondary is actually the one not totally terrible part of our defense. I'm pretty sure that up until the beginning of last season we actually lead the league in takeaways over the past number of seasons. It's just that our line and linebackers were laughable and everyone could run right over us. But whatever the case, the Bengals are desperately in need of a leader on defense, and they are really trying to bring in some big playmakers. Bout damn time too...