• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Ben Whishaw to play Freddie Mercury

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
James Bond star Ben Whishaw is Queen’s choice to play Freddie Mercury in the upcoming biopic, according to the band’s drummer Roger Taylor.

‘Cloud Atlas’ actor Ben Whishaw is Queen’s choice to play Freddie Mercury in upcoming film | The Raw Story
I don't know anything about this actor but if Queen thinks he's right for the part I'll trust them on that. I always loved Queen and Freddie, loved watching Freddie perform in their music videos, he was very talented, so this is one movie I would like to see.

I was wondering what others felt about the actor chosen and if you think he is the right one for the part? Will you be wanting to see this movie?

Elanor

Registered Member
He is quite a good actor, but not the sort of person I pictured portraying Freddie. As you said, if Queen think he is right for the part, then I will trust them on it, as they were the ones that knew him and worked with him.

I will probably see the film at some point. But it might be one that I wait until it is out on DVD to see.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
You can't argue when the remaining members of Queen decide on the actor to play Freddie. Good luck copying that voice.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Hold the fuck up, what happened to Sacha Baron Cohen playing Mercury? That would've been epic, he even looks like him!

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
You can't argue when the remaining members of Queen decide on the actor to play Freddie. Good luck copying that voice.
I would have disagreed with the band if they ended up going with Sacha Baron Cohen. He would definitely have been far to distracting.

Hold the fuck up, what happened to Sacha Baron Cohen playing Mercury? That would've been epic, he even looks like him!
Wait, what? :lol:

I think Wishaw is a decent choice. He did a good job as Q with the little screen time he got and for this role, a more unfamiliar face is perfect. Like the band says, we have to believe the actor to be Freddie, not Alli G.

I will definitely be going to see this movie. I am a huge fan of Queen!

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
There aren't too many movies I really want to see but this one I do. I loved Queen and their music and I would rather the actor that play Freddie wasn't someone that is really famous. I want to look at him and think its Freddie.

Taliesin

Registered Member
Thanks to my wife, I'm a HUGE Queen fan, so I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this one. Freddie Mercury was a true original with an amazing stage presence and persona, so I have a hard time imagining anyone pulling that off. Hopefully the dude they've chosen pulls that off, but I will admit that I do have some doubts.