Ben Wallace is the NBA's top Defender

S

scottmcgrady

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Detroit Pistons center Ben Wallace won the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year award Monday for the fourth time in five years for his ability to guard Shaquille O'Neal and LeBron James.

Wallace, a muscular 6-foot-9, 240-pounder, is one of only two players in league history to win the award four times. Wallace won the award last year and in the 2003 and 2002 seasons.

"He deserves it," said James, who was held to 22 points in Detroit's 113-86 Game 1 win on Sunday. "You have to be aggressive when you go to the hole, because he's capable of blocking your shot or stripping you."

Detroit won an NBA-high and franchise-record 64 games during the regular season. Wallace was selected an All-Star for the fourth straight year.

Wallace ranked fourth in the NBA in rebounding (11.3), ninth in blocks (2.2) and 10th in steals (1.78) -- the only player among the top 10 in all three categories.

He became the fifth player in league history to have 100 blocks and 100 steals in six straight seasons, a list that includes Hakeem Olajuwon, Julius Erving, Sam Lacey and David Robinson.

Wallace scored 7.3 points a game this season and has not averaged double digits in any of his 10 years in the league. Despite his lack of scoring, he's been key to the Pistons' success, which included the NBA title in 2004.

Detroit acquired him from Orlando along with Chucky Atkins in a sign-and-trade deal for Grant Hill before the 2000-01 season.
That's it, Ben Wallace got it. He truly did deserve it!
Check the article here

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well now that it's official I would really like to congratulate him, good job Big Ben because you did deserve it, and hopefully you'll continue your dominace for lots of years to come.

G

GreenFuture 5 7

he deffinately deserves it he is a great defensive player doesn't score a lot but man can he rebound and block the ball he is the best defensive player without a doubt.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
True true. But I am sure if Flip Saunders asked him to play a little bit of offence he could do it. They just don't need him to play that type of game.Everytime he tries he succeds and impresses me with is offensive threath. But is defence is just insane.