• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Belle (2013)

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I only saw the trailer for this film on Monday, before then I knew nothing about it and had never heard of it, in one trailer however it made me laugh, it made me shed a tear but most of all it renewed with faith that good Cinema still exists and that good films are still being brought out. It is a very simple story but like a lot of good films that is not a curse but a blessing because sometimes that is all you want from a film, here is a trailer:

Trailer

It has a truly stellar cast that would take me a long time to name everyone as to why you should see this film but like so many dramas it really does have some of the crème de la crème of the cinema has to offer and I know I will be seeing it as soon as I can.

Does this interest you?

Last edited by a moderator:

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I recognize one person in that trailer. :lol:

The trailer looks decent, and I enjoy dramas, so I might watch something like this. However, what has me worried is the IMDb rating. I hardly ever watch anything with a rating less than 6.5 and this film is only 6.7. That's a low scoring by my standards for what you describe as a fantastic film.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Please please please tell me you're not serious Idi? I love you hon so please tell me the ratings from people on IMDb do not influence you to not watch a film? The reason I say this is rather like YouTube it seems that so many people since I have been registered with IMDb (coming up to 14 years this year - yeah me) vote one of two ways:

They either vote less than 3 because they hate it.
Others vote over 8 because they like it.

Now they have their right but the problem is this does not make for a very partial or fair scoring system :)

/rant over :D

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Sorry sun, but I am serious. I'll still watch something rated under 6.5, but not under 6. Below 6 usually has a good reason it was rated poorly. Of course, I don't decide everything I see on that rating, but if I haven't heard of something, I tend to go check its rating. I'm just surprised by this films rating based on how highly you recommend it.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I tend to really love stuff that is rated higher on there, so it's a convenient measurement for me, personally.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I find the IMDb ratings are pretty accurate. So far every time I've tried to watch one that was below a 6 I didn't think much of it. If its below 5 I don't even try to watch them anymore.

Since Belle got a 6.7 it probably will be good if its your type of movie.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
It kind of does because of the law of large numbers. Sure, it's not scientific, but if a movie has say a 5 it's for a very good reason, a bunch of people rated it very low while only a few rated it high, which means by and large most hated it.

This looks fairly interesting, I might check it out.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I find imdb ratings to be fairly accurate most of the time, but not all of the time. One of my favorite movies, The Fountain, has what I would consider a low rating (7.4) for how good I think it is. I think it's because the movie is not very mainstream and many people find it hard to understand. Most people don't want to have to work their brain to get meaning out of things. I don't know if Belle is one of those kinds of movies, but it has a relatively small amount of voters so far, so maybe the rating could go a little higher once it's seen by a larger audience.

Konshentz

Konshentz
People decide what movie to watch and/or avoid based on IMDB ratings? Yikes.

Belle looks like straight doo-doo. But to be fair, I HATE that setting for films. The only thing worse is a film set in the year 2345736.