Believer to non-believer.

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Kibi, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Kibi

Kibi Babeasaurus Sex

When I was a child I told my mum to get me baptised. I was 5 years old and I told her i didn't want to go to hell for not believing.

Between the ages of 5 and 13 I was a strong christian follower. I attended church every sunday was an active member for the community projects and looked after the younger children in youth group on Friday night.

I was devoted because no matter what I knew God would guide and save me. When my dad left I knew it was a test of faith and so I stayed strong and looked after my mum and brother, when our house had a terrible fire I stayed strong and praised god for us all being safe. Then in 2 years our family faced more trauma than you could imagine. We went through trial after trial and all of a sudden my faith had ebbed away. I no longer enjoyed being at church, I saw all the flaws and inconsistancies of the Bible.

Then my faith was truly demolished when 9/11 happened.

I can not and WILL not accept that there is a saviour. I will not believe that anyone who cares for us as His children could watch as innocent good people suffer. Not just suffer but face the worst of humanity and one of the most horrifying things was hearing people justify these horrific acts as "Gods Plan"

Screw his plan.

I'm not ranting to be converted but I'm intrigued as to whether anyone else started out believing and is now an atheist or agnostic?

Bananas likes this.

2. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

Kib, God is not here to save us.
    He just created us. That's the point where his mission is over.

If every prayer we made, came true than this world would be Heaven [because I'm sure no one would pray to bring bad luck to their-selves].
    I don't think there's a point in praying, asking God to guide you to the right path and save you.

I don't even think we're his children.

3. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I was never a follower of any religion, so I can't really relate on that level, but I am much more cynical of God than I was as a kid. I remember when I was about 6/7 or so, I used to get my thoughts jumbled and become a little frustrated with myself, so I'd say (talking to myself, in my head) "if you don't understand what I'm saying, ask my brain. If you still don't get it, ask God." Now I know that's pretty strange :lol: but it's the only thing I have to remember that I once was sure there was some kind of higher being.

Though, nothing happened to me to shake that 'faith', if you want to call it that, I just started seeing the world more for what it was, than what I wanted it to be.

4. Kibi

Kibi Babeasaurus Sex

Please don't get me wrong Elly, I am not naive and I'm not pompous enough to think that God would listen to all prayer and answer all prayer.

God is part of the holy trinity a third of which (in the form of Jesus) is there to SAVE us. God is the Holy Father is He not? He created us in His own image and gave to us all that we needed. He delivered the Holy people from Egypt, He gave us his ONLY son so that we may be saved.

We are His children by christian teachings (I can't speak for other religions but I'm sure the Torah and Qu'ran both say that we are Allah/God's children aswell please correct me if I'm wrong)

I do not expect EVERY disaster to be avoided but surely there is only so much He can allow His followers to go through?

5. Diederick

Diederick Registered Member

I've been a Christian for a while, but Jesus made me straight.

Basically Jesus wanted to 'cure' me from my sickening disease, which triggered the 'something is very wrong here' alarm in my head, which made me realize I was being silly and so I stopped believing in God. So nowadays I thank Jesus for showing me how stupid it is to believe in him and stopping me from trying to have sex with a woman.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  6. Kibi

Kibi Babeasaurus Sex

I used to ask God everything. I'd talk to him while I was getting dressed I'd send him ideas about how to save the world! lol I was such a know it all!

I beleive that I too "opened my eyes" I think it was a lot easier for me to be religious than to accept life for what it was. Also I'm a very positive person and it gave me a silver lining you know?

7. FutureTrackStar

FutureTrackStar Registered Member

- Perhaps you should review the story of Job.

- "Good" people are not good by their own merit, they are only good because God forgave them though Christ's redeeming work on the Cross. Christ is good, we are not.

1:2 My brothers and sisters, consider it nothing but joy when you fall into all sorts of trials, 1:3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance. 1:4 And let endurance have its perfect effect, so that you will be perfect and complete, not deficient in anything. 1:5 But if anyone is deficient in wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to all generously and without reprimand, and it will be given to him. 1:6 But he must ask in faith without doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed around by the wind. 1:7 For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord, 1:8 since he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

Now, the hammer is a useful tool but the nail, if it had feelings and intelligence, could present another side of the story. For the nail knows the hammer only as an opponent, a brutal, merciless enemy who lives to pound it into submission, to beat it down out of sight and clinch it into place. That is the nail's view of the hammer, and it is accurate, except for one thing: The nail forgets that both it and the hammer are servants of the same workman. Let the nail but remember that the hammer is held by the workman and all resentment toward it will disappear. The carpenter decides whose head will be beaten next and what hammer shall be used in the beating. That is his sovereign right. When the nail has surrendered to the will of the workman and has gotten a little glimpse of his benign plans for its future it will yield to the hammer without complaint.

8. NINnerd

NINnerd Survived a M&G with Trent

To answer the OP's question - I was always cynical about religion. When I was in church at about 7 or 8 years old, I would listen to the sermons and just think to myself, "This is such a load of crap." I believed in god and Jesus, but not all of the bible stuff (the stories). I think I believed in god and Jesus because I didn't know there was an alternative. Once I figured out that there was an alternative (late high school), everything was a lot clearer to me.

9. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I went from believer to "I'm not sure what to believe".

Although in my case, I never really had much of a problem with the suffering in the world, like you do. Things like 9/11 just proved Christianity's argument that humans are sinful. I didn't blame God for people's actions.

10. Kibi

Kibi Babeasaurus Sex

I didn't blame God for them. I hate that God's name (in whatever form) was used to justify such actions. I blamed God for the lack of help. I blamed him for the fear and segregation that led to the attacks.