Being "tied down"

Discussion in 'Dating & Relationships' started by Merc, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm curious, who believes having a relationship means being "tied down"? I've pondered this a few times over the last month and I think it's a view most likely given by a single cynic who had at least one bad relationship in their past. However, that's just an assumption.

Why is having a relationship synonymous with being "tied down" (unless that's your thing of course :D)?

I think it mostly has to do with sex. I guess I'm a weird one because I'm fine with one person and I rarely find myself wanting sex from other people aside from my girlfriend (but I don't go for it, I'm not that much of an asshole). I think the wording gets people nervous about relationships to be honest.

2. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I think a lot of people are scared of commitment and don't like the thought of having to spend their life with one person. Some people like to sleep with multiple partners and sometimes never settle down because of this. Those people that do sleep around will often cheat on their wives should they get married.

Being tied down sounds like you're trapped. If you feel trapped in a relationship then you shouldn't be in one.

3. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

I think losing that 'availability tag' has a bearing on the whole 'tied-down' issue.

I sometimes feel tied-down when in a relationship because you lose that feeling of freedom to a certain point, you lose the ability to virtually talk to any girl and act a certain way around single girls and your freinds

Of course none of that is a problem if you're a cheating ass.

4. ILOVEUSA911

ILOVEUSA911 Registered Member

I don't consider it being "tied down" at all. I think if you feel that way, you're probably not ready for a serious relationship, or, you're not in the right relationship.

Being in a relationship with the right person is wonderful... no tied down feelings here.

5. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

Some may be afraid of commitment and staying faithful to their partner. I wouldn't pressure my better half against sneaking a foreign glance at someone else they would feel trapped.

6. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

In my opinion, I would think that those who feel like they're tied down are not in the right relationship. I myself need a lot of freedom. I don't like someone smothering me, trying to make me feel bad for going out with my friends, or someone that wants me to take care of them all the time. Those times I feel tied down.

7. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I just think it means you're not as free to do some things because you've started to see someone exclusively. It's not really a loss of personal freedom but a rearrangement of priorities, and yes, no more going out with other people (surely not even for sex haha).

8. Connor_Macleod

Connor_Macleod New Member

I think it's also because you now have to consider the other person ALL the time when you are making plans. Movies, restaurants, etc.

And, of course, the fact that you can't eff other people. ;)

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Who says you need to consider them ALL the time? That's marriage. I do things on my own time as does my girlfriend. The amusing part in my opinion, is that successful relationships rely just as much on time apart as time alone. You have to find that balance between suffocation and isolation.

10. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I agree pretty much word for word. I also hate when someone gets upset over me just talking to other guys.

In the past I have felt tied down, and shortly after this came the break up.