Being sure of your beliefs?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Mirage, Mar 5, 2010.

?

How sure are you about your beliefs?

1. 100%

33.3%
  2. 90%

33.3%
  3. 80%

5.6%
  4. 70%

5.6%
  5. 60%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 50%

16.7%
  7. 40%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 30%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 20%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 10% or less

5.6%
  1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Whether you are religious, agnostic, or an atheist, I'm sure everybody has asked themselves this question in the past. On a scale of 1-10, how sure are you about what you believe?

For the sake of the poll, let me give a few guidelines. 100% means you have made up your mind no matter what. Even if "stronger" evidence for something else is shown to you. 90 would be for those who are pretty sure, but would consider something else if strong enough evidence was raised. The rest are pretty much self explanatory. Vote for whatever you feel best fits your security level in your beliefs.

In addition, I'm talking about core beliefs here. I'm sure some people in all spectrums will be able to say 100%. This doesn't have to mean that you can perfectly diagram the Big Bang and the universe, or know everything there is to know about your beliefs. Just that you know enough to be sure that you won't be changing your mind. If not then go with a lesser percent.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010

2. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Sorry to be a pain, but - what if I'm 100% sure that I'm 0% sure of life's big questions/my beliefs?

*edit: I definitely explained this wrong

Bananas likes this.
  3. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm 90% sure of my beliefs. I don't believe in religion, but I believe in God.
    The choice I made means I'm pretty sure he exists .... but given that we don't know the absolute truth about him .... it means I don't want to give my beliefs full credits.

4. Mirage

Well, to be fair you could be 100% sure that you were any of the above %'s. If you are 100% sure that you are 0% sure then go with 10% of below and be 100% sure about it when you click submit. :lol:

Rebeccaaa likes this.
  5. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

:rofl: :rotfl:

LOL @FutureTrackStar who's being 100% sure of his beliefs.
    :lol:

p.s. as long as you feel good, it's ok though ... :)

6. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

It's physically impossible to be 100% sure about your beliefs. You can only be sure of the belief in your beliefs.

7. Mirage

I updated the OP with a clarification of the 100% choice.

8. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

I know. I was just pointing out that any beliefs can have doubts, because the beliefs are based on something that you can't be sure about. :hah:

9. Mirage

I think that's a fallacy though. I mean, it's understandable that somebody who isn't sure about their beliefs would say that it's impossible to be 100% sure, but I don't think anybody who voted 100% would do so without having more than enough reasons for doing so.

10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

If you measure your beliefs in percentages, then you don't believe. End of story.