Being less shy and outgoing on the forums then real life.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Babe_Ruth, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

By reading some of the members replies in a few different threads, it seems like a lot of people are shy and totally different in person. What I mean by that is that they're more outgoing on these forums then they are in real life. I was just wondering why is that?

2. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Probably because its easy to sit at a desk or in your room and type whatever you want without personal interaction. That's the way it is these days...everybody loves email, texting etc.

Personally, I'm not that different in real life. I have no shame.

icegoat63 likes this.
  3. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

Because you don't have to worry about fucking up your sentence. You can proof read what you wrote. You can blow off any negative comments by saying "it's the internet" in some cases at least.

You can act however you want and no one will know. You can be who you want to be without those worries you may have in real life. clothes, anything stuck in your teeth, all of the awkward things.

I used to be really really shy. But the forum helped me grow out of that, just a little bit. then the rest of my more outgoingness would be because of my RL friends. I am still shy around people, but I can hold conversations as long as they attempt it. I can walk up to a stranger and ask them a question and not worry about anything. lol

4. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

This. Plus there's the anonymity of the internet.

5. AwkwardlyYours

AwkwardlyYours Registered Member

I don't know... I'm not so much shy in person as I am AWKWARD. I'm outgoing in both places. Just... I'm more awkward in person. The only reason I'm not as awkward on the internet is my ability to proof read what I write. In RL if I say something or do something awkward it just has to remain... awkward. :/

6. Jeru

Jeru Registered Member

I don't know if i am more shy in person but definitely a lot less formal, which is weird because most people you have that informal text lingo...im not really outgoing anywhere

...how do you tell if someone is shy on the internet?:confused:

7. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

I don't know, I'm pretty much about the same in real life. I'm sure I'm a little different in person, but for the most part I like to act like myself (on the internet). I don't like creating fake identities and such, it's not my thing.

8. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

You're exactly the same in person as online. I know I'm not as outgoing in person, hopefully you're not implying that I have a fake identity online. I'm just not good at coming up with things to say spontaneously. I have trouble translating thoughts into words. It's a lot easier for me to talk on IM or something because I have at least a couple seconds to think about what I want to say or how I want to say it.

9. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

No, but the thing is you're personality is pretty much spot on. You may not talk as much or as fast, but you're over all personality is the same. There are people that talk and act completely different than who they are, thats what I meant by fake personality.

10. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

The time lapse between post replies plays a role. People can read through a thread, take their time to think of a reply and then finally post. You can't get that in RL

Boredie likes this.