Being honest

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wasn't to sure what to call this thread, so I just went with being honest.

I'll just use a girl for my example because it's easier, but it could be for either partner in this scenario.

Let's say your wife buys a new dress/outfit for a dinner party, she puts it on and you just hate it, you think it looks awful, but you don't say anything. Then after a few minutes she asks you what you think about the new dress/outfit.

Are you honest with her and tell her your true feelings because you don't want her to be upset, or you tell her the truth?

Thoughts and reasons behind your answer.

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member

I'll just use a girl for my example because it's easier, but it could be for either partner in this scenario.

Let's say your wife buys a new dress/outfit for a dinner party, she puts it on and you just hate it, you think it looks awful, but you don't say anything. Then after a few minutes she asks you what you think about the new dress/outfit.

Are you honest with her and tell her your true feelings because you don't want her to be upset, or you tell her the truth?

My husband has either really good taste in clothing or really bad taste in clothing, lol; however, if he asks me if I like a particular item of clothing when we're out shopping I always give him my honest opinion on what I think of it but I always tell him that if he likes it and he feels comfortable in it, that's what matters, not what I think.

Tastes in clothing vary from person to person. I think that just because you don't like the item of clothing your partner likes / wears, doesn't mean you should try and discourage them from wearing what they like; just like they shouldn't discourage you from wearing what you like.

RJ-Cool

"Expect the unexpected"
Honestly, I would keep it real.....I would tell her exactly how I feel but in the most sensitive way possible. Why? I'd prefer her getting upset with the possibility of changing the dress rather than her going to the party thinking she's 'the bomb' when she is actually a total 'flop'. In a total reverse of the situation, I would want to be told the truth.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Being honest doesn't necessarily mean you can't be tactful. I mean you can simply say it's not something you'd buy for her (so it's more "it's not my style" or a difference of taste instead of criticising her taste) or you can concentrate on how to make the outfit more "ok" (make suggestions) instead of flatout just saying "i hate it and i think it looks awful" :lol:

Bliss

Sally Twit
I tell him the truth. He always asks for my opinion before he buys something. If I'm not with him then he'll buy it and keep the labels on so that he can return it if I say it doesn't suit him lol.

I would point out some positive aspects of the outfit, and then conclude that overall, I don't think it's flattering on them as something else could be. Or similar to that, anyway. So it's still honesty, but sugar-coated.

I know this is D&R, but as a side note: When my friends ask me for my opinion on new clothing, however, I'll usually just say I like it even if I'm not keen. If they liked it enough to buy it and wear it then my thoughts really shouldn't matter because it only makes them self-conscious or whatever if I give my true opinions. However, if they haven't purchased it yet and are only trying it on in the store, I'm more likely to be honest.

Kibi

Babeasaurus Sex
I would totally be honest but at the same time if they feel good in it then more power to them.

We were in the vivienne westwood shop today and my friend tried something on and it looked awful and i told her so! lol. Well actually I burst out laughing because as she walked out she tripped....AAAANYWHO....I always prefer honesty...my ex once told me i looked like a hooker...but not until we were already out...that was nice...but at least I knew eh!

:D

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I see no point in pleasing my partner when I don't like something about his outfit.

Really, if you can't be honest about this elementary thing, what honesty could you show about more important things that may be less pleasant?

it has nothing to do with making him feel bad. If he asks for my opinion, means he wants to know my true thoughts. If he feels bad, he better not ask at all because asking and giving the answer HE wants to hear, doesn't make sense.

JessEpiphany

Registered Member
It depends.
Assuming that I'm the woman who bought the dress...
if I have time to return or exchange the dress, I would like my hubby to be honest;
but if he's seeing it just an hour before we head out to the party/dinner/whatever then I would rather my hubby just keep his opinion to himself and not ruin my evening. At this point, telling me that he doesn't like it is just going to make me second guess how I look in it and I'm going to feel awkward all evening. It'll ruin my night.

As for things my hubby wears- I'm honest, though that doesn't stop him from wearing them.