Being called "ma'am"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeanie, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I remember the first time it happened to me, I was in my 20s and I was horribly offended.

Now, I hate to say, I wouldn't mind so much. :shifteyes:

Have you been called "ma'am" yet? I mean like by a stranger, not in casual silly conversation. How did it make you feel?

2. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

There is worse.
    A few days ago I've been called like on old lady - we say 'grandma' here.
    Some st00pid on the street confused me with a 70 year old lady.

3. Envy

Envy Band Nerd ♫

Yeah, I have. :lol::D

What's wrong with that? Around where I live we've been taught it is polite to say that.

But I guess in reality I look like I'm 16/17 (people have told me that, I didn't assume it myself. :lol:) so I don't ever worry about somebody thinking I'm older than I am... Nobody has ever assumed it. lol

4. storm_ina_C_cup

storm_ina_C_cup Registered Member

I had dated a "Southern boy" who used to say it all the time...(or at least when ever he spoke to a woman). At first I thought it was a bit "hick-ish", as I wasn't used to hearing it up North. Anyway, I got used to it and in a way it kind of grew on me. :)

Haven't heard it being used in ages but then again I haven't been down South in years.

5. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I'm in the Army, so I was trained to call males sir and females ma'am. But now I try not to when I'm in not doing Army stuff unless the person I'm talking to is significantly older than me, since it offends a lot of people.

6. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Nobody says it over here in the UK, apart from David Bowie... Anyway, I sometimes call female Americans ma'am because I love hearing it in the states, but I only say it in jest. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

"You're welcome, ma'am, have a nice day now!" - possibly my all time favourite phrase to hear haha.

edit - oh and to actually answer the OP, no, I only get to hear my mum being called ma'am on trips to the US.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  7. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I was raised to say sir and ma'am so have always done so. I've had friends sometimes complain about being called sir but to me it's second nature.

8. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

Yeah, I have. It didn't bother me. It only bothers me if the person calling me ma'am is older than me.

9. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

No I've never been called Ma'am... and if I was, I'm fairly confident I'd be offended. :eyebrow:

Same here, I say Sir to everyone regardless of Age or status. Figure its good common courtesy and respect to show everyone. Its refreshing to get it back in return.

Ma'am on the other hand I'm more selective with. I do know that certain females do get pissed when you call 'em Ma'am so I'm more reserved to the ones I'm familiar with before I'll use it. But when I do its solely out of respect...not just me being a prick :hah:

10. redfan

redfan Registered Member

But which is worse? "Ma'am" or "Madam"? And to be honest I could think of worse things for a woman to be called. I always thought it was the female equivalent of "Sir", which for me is fine.